USC can perform a number of sport, exercise and pool testing services.
The sport and exercise science laboratories on campus are accredited by the Australian Institute of Sport in their National Sport Science Quality Assurance program (NSSQA), and offer physiological and anthropometric testing to individuals and teams.
The following testing services are available:
- ISAK Restricted Profile: A$55
- ISAK Full Profile: A$110
Physiological Capacity and Power
- Incremental Lactate: A$220
- VO2max: A$220
- VO2max with Lactate: A$330
- Wingate Anaerobic Capacity: A$110
Discounts are available for group or team testing and for Sport Institute / Sport Academy referrals. Contact us for further information.
Biomechanical Analysis and Anaerobic Capacity
- Technique/performance analysis - ORCA (Video Swim Tracker): From A$110 - A$220
- Lactate testing consumables only: A$6 per strip
- Lactate testing including technical support: A$110 per hour per technician plus A$6 per lactate strip
Field tests available for group / team testing
Testing is usually completed in a group block of tests over 2 hours. Cost: A$27.50 per person
- Sprint performance is measured on a track surface with single-beam electronic timing gates. Splits can be provided for 5, 10, 15, and 20 metres.
- Sprint performance is measured on a track surface with single-beam electronic timing gates. Splits can be provided for 5, 10, 20, and 40 metres.
- This is a measure of the ability to rapidly change direction on a horizontal plane. Athletes begin 10 metres behind the timing gates, sprint through the gates, turn 5 metres past the gates, and sprint back through.
- Reach height and vertical jump height are measured using a pole with mobile vanes at 1cm increments.
- This is a measure of back and shoulder strength and endurance. Athletes lay face down on a bench and lift a weighted bar up to the bottom of the bench. An electronic system is employed to measure lift velocity and bar displacement. Maximal power generation is measured for one pull and endurance is measured using repeated lifts to exhaustion.
- A chin-up bar is mounted 2.5 metres from the floor and athletes are supervised for chin-up technique and number of repetitions.
- This is a multi-stage fitness test used to assess aerobic power, it is also known as the 20 metre Shuttle Run Test. A number of athletes can complete the test at one time and the final stage completed by each athlete can be used to estimate their VO2max.
Sit and reach
- Hamstring flexibility is measured using a standardised sit and reach box.
Laboratory Coordinator, Health and Sport Sciences
Faculty of Science, Health, Education and Engineering
Tel: + 61 7 5459 4605