Helping people and the planet to thrive
Our services focus on helping our clients to achieve their capacity building goals. Everywhere.
We put a lot of time and effort into the custom design of our programs. We are passionate about our work and the pastoral care of our clients.
And, we ensure proper consideration is given to issues of gender, culture, and language with a special review committee set up to help ensure our success.
Placing you in safe hands
Our programs and services are put together by the highly qualified and experienced International Development team. They are supported by the University of the Sunshine Coast's award-winning teaching community, its rapidly growing research capability and excellent learning resources.
A short course from USC International Development will earn you a qualification under the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF).
Choose from our professional development opportunities to improve your skills and qualifications:
- Executive leadership
You will learn skills to become a leader or enhance your techniques to improve your leadership style for greater success. The program includes leadership skills, strategic management concepts, human resource management, and problem solving.
- Effective governance
This is an introduction to global governance. It's designed for senior managers and civil servants working across regulatory, cultural and national borders. You will gain extensive knowledge of governance, strategy, risk and finance.
- Education management
This course is for practicing teachers and other educators to develop new skills in a wide range of educational contexts. Learn to apply research findings to implement best practices in education.
- Health and wellbeing
Develop your skills in line with international standards in health services delivery. Develop specialist capabilities in Midwifery and Women's and Children's health.
Consulting services and technical assistance
We use highly developed project management, administrative, financial and monitoring systems to design and deliver top quality advice to meet individual client needs.
Our team has been recognised by the Australian Government for outstanding work in Indonesia and we received a national citation at the 2012 Teaching and Learning Awards in Canberra.
- We work in the following areas:
- resource and funding mobilisation
- proposal design
- grant applications
- project implementation
- course logistics
- project financial management
- participant welfare and support
- project monitoring and evaluation
- forum and conference management
- We specialise in key areas
- Sustainability and natural resource management
- Gender empowerment
- SME business capacity building
- Governance and anti-corruption
Our team is highly experienced at program logistics in Australia and on the ground overseas, including making sure knowledge transfer needs are always met.
- Experiential and co-learning programs
- Our team works with international partners that include donor organisations, managing contractors and international governments to help empower developing communities.
- Our programs explore best practice and give participants the opportunity to discuss key issues with expert practitioners and with each other.
- We deliver experiential learning approaches that allow participants to reflect on their new learning, skills and experiences. Continued reflective practice is encouraged as a way to ensure program outcomes remain useful and meaningful into the future.
- Research for international development projects
- We provide research-based tailored programs to meet the specific individual requirements of international organisations.
- We are committed to research through program monitoring and evaluation and to measure the positive impact of development programs.
- Program content is assessed throughout its delivery to ensure it's relevant to participants' skills sets and to assist USC International Development, clients and partners to determine the benefits for our alumni.
- Post-program research to determine how well alumni are applying new skills and knowledge in their home countries and how effectively they are using their newly-created Australian networks.
- Empowering communities through specialist aid programs
Our specialist programs are aligned with the University of the Sunshine Coast's School of Education, concentrating on primary teaching, and on USC research areas. These include:
- education and teacher training
- community and preventative health
- climate change adaptation
- environmental sustainability
- environmentally and socially responsible tourism
- Leadership support in developing countries
- Our team provides ongoing support for alumni in their roles as change agents through follow up visits and via information technologies, including social media.
Our tours help create new opportunities and pathways to build global knowledge and skills.
We partner with other academic institutions around the world that want to expand their fields of knowledge by learning in Australia. Our study tours are customised to include short courses at USC, opportunities to network, and travel to visit and observe relevant Australian facilities.
“We resolve, between now and 2030, to end poverty and hunger everywhere; to combat inequalities within and among countries; to build peaceful, just and inclusive societies; to protect human rights and promote gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls; and to ensure lasting protection of the planet and its natural resources. We resolve also to create conditions for sustainable, inclusive and sustained economic growth, shared prosperity and decent work for all, taking into account different levels of national development and capacities.” —UN Declaration on the 2030 Development Agenda for Sustainable Development.