Queensland's Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation (DSITI) has developed the PhD Industry Experience program which provides short-term unpaid practical work placements for PhD candidates.
This Advance Queensland initiative has been designed to establish and strengthen collaboration between business and universities and expand employment prospects for PhD candidates.
The program aims to:
- demonstrate students' transferable skills
- stimulate innovation in Queensland businesses
- establish and strengthen relationships between universities and businesses
- increase the flow of highly skilled staff into Queensland businesses
- provide PhD students with practical experience to increase their employment opportunities
Applicants will be assessed on their core skills and experience as they relate to the workplace projects and are encouraged to consider placements outside their research discipline.
Eligible applicants must:
- be a confirmed PhD candidate
- obtain written support from their PhD supervisor to undertake the placement
- reside in Queensland and be eligible for permanent employment in Australia (i.e. international candidates are ineligible)
- commit to a 20-30 working day placement (full-time or part-time)
Applications can be submitted at any time. Applications received before the cut-off dates will be assessed for that round.
The next assessment cut-off dates for 2016 are 8 April 2016 and 16 September 2016
Information on how to apply, including guidelines, FAQs and available projects is available on the Advance Queensland website