Indigenous Services, University of the Sunshine Coast administers the Indigenous Academic Mentoring (IAM) tuition program. IAM Mentors are employed with Indigenous Services, to provide tuition services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students enrolled in a study program at the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC).
The role involves working with students to develop study and time management skills, researching and referencing skills, and with assignment presentation, assessment analysis, and establishing links to other USC academic services. IAM Mentors also attend regular staff meetings and are an integral part of the implementation and communication of the IAM tuition program. All mentoring activities take place at one of USC campuses or learning hubs.
IAM Mentors are engaged for the duration of a semester. Working hours are casual and will vary from week to week and will be paid at Professional Level 4, Step 3, $40.11 gross per hour.
To succeed in this role you will possess:
- A degree (or will be currently studying a tertiary degree) with a GPA of at least 5.0 in the previous two semesters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to successfully communicate with a diverse range of people
- The ability to work in a team environment
- Strong time management skills and organisational abilities
- Sound computer literacy and reporting skills
- An understanding of students' educational needs and the demonstrated ability to empower their educational engagement is highly desirable.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake USC's Indigenous Cultural Awareness training upon commencement of their appointment.
Complete the online IAM Mentor Application Form, available on the University of the Sunshine Coast’s website no later than midnight, Sunday, 29 January 2017.
Only successful applicants will be contacted about their application.
Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Students)
- Sippy Downs, Gympie, Fraser Coast, South Bank
- Learning Coordinator, Indigenous Services
- Closing date
- 11:59 PM, 29 January 2017
- More information
Ms Suberia Clemmensen
Telephone: +61 7 5456 3590