U-pass frequently asked questions

Accessibility links

U-pass frequently asked questions


What is the U-Pass Sponsored go Card?

The U-Pass Sponsored go Card is an Australian-first public transport trial that ultimately aims to combine the Student ID card with the TransLink go card.

Introduced in Semester 1, 2011 and extended to 2014, the U-Pass sponsored go Card is a pilot program sponsored by USC that aims to promote travel behaviour change by encouraging students to leave their car behind and use sustainable public transport to travel to campus.

Each eligible student will be provided with a go Card which they can use on public transport to travel around the Sunshine Coast and the entire TransLink network, from Gympie to Coolangatta.

What is the purpose and benefit of this program?

The program promotes the use of public transport, which will reduce vehicle use and congestion, boost safety, improve transit services and help the environment.

Ultimately, increasing the percentage of USC students who use public transport from 17% to 30%, would result in a weekly reduction of 3,500 car trips. Students' travel patterns will be recorded and used to report on the success of the trial and to determine viability of the continuation of the project.

Who can get one?

The go Card is available to full time students enrolling at USC for the first time in Semester 2, 2014. To be eligible, students must be new to USC and commencing full-time study in Semester 2, 2014. Students need to have accepted their offer, enrolled in classes and obtained a USC Student Identification card and a TransLink Tertiary Transport Concession Card (TTCC).

Where do I get one?

The U-Pass sponsored go card will be available on presentation of a Tertiary Transport Concession Card (TTCC) and photo identification card at the Facilities Management office, ready for immediate use.

How do I get a Tertiary Transport Concession Card?

You will need to fill out a TTCC application form. During Orientation Week, the Travel2USC Team will be in the Student ID card photo sessions, handing out forms and answering questions. After O Week, you can find the procedures on the Public Transport information page.

Are there any up-front fees for students?

No. The card is free to participating USC students.

Those students participating in the trial can claim up to A$65 of travel during Semester 2, 2014.

The travel credit is subsidised by USC.

Is there credit on the card?

Yes. A$65 credit will be loaded onto the card when it is first given to you.

Any further top-ups are at the expense of the cardholder.

Can I use my own money to top up the U-Pass Sponsored go Card?

Yes. You can top-up your trial U-Pass Sponsored go Card at Student Central (EFTPOS or debit card only), on board Sunbus (up to A$50) or at a go Card retailer (visit the TransLink website to view a full list of retailers).

Will my U-Pass Sponsored go Card expire?

Yes. Cards issued in Semester 2, 2014 will expire on the same date that is printed on your TTCC card. The date can be changed only to match this date.

Can I cash in my trial U-Pass Sponsored go Card?

No. If you have added credit to your go Card (topped-up), this will be refunded on cancellation of the card or transferred to another go Card. Unused University subsidies will be returned to the University.

I have a card from 2011, 2012 or 2013. Can I use it again?

Yes. Any further top-ups will be at your own expense.

Please be aware that TransLink has changed proof of Concession. From July 1 2014, all tertiary/post-secondary students in Queensland are required to have the new Tertiary Transport Concession Card (TTCC) to purchase and travel on a concession fare. Please ensure you are still eligible and can show proof before using your old card.

Back to top

Searching for {{model.Query}} returned no results.


More results