Work Travel Between University of the Sunshine Coast Sites Guidelines

Accessibility links

Work Travel Between University of the Sunshine Coast Sites Guidelines


Designated Officer: Director, Human Resources
Date Reviewed: 10 March 2014

1. Overview

All ongoing and fixed-term appointments at USC make reference to the possibility that a staff member may be required to work at any site operated by USC. The relevant paragraph contained in the letter of offer is:

‘You may be required to work on either a temporary or an indefinite basis at any campus, which the University currently has or may subsequently acquire or at any premises at which it may from time to time provide services.’ 

2. Working hours

When an ongoing and fixed-term Academic or Professional staff member is required to deliver services at a site other than the site that they are normally located, consideration of travel times will be made in the workload allocation of the staff member for travel time above and beyond normal home / workplace commuting, including travelling between sites.

In addition to the time worked at the other site, the actual travel time would be counted as part of the workload allocation.

3. Transportation

If a staff member normally delivers their workload at one site, and is required to deliver that workload at another site (eg. an academic staff member normally delivers tutorials at Sippy Downs and is required to deliver a tutorial at our Gympie site) either on a regular or ad-hoc basis, the staff member has a number of options for travel to and from the other site. Transport must be by the most cost effective means available and must be approved by the relevant Cost Centre Manager or Head of School, prior to undertaking the travel.

Travel options:
  • Public transport – if travel is to our Gympie site, a staff member can use the University Express Shuttle service both to and from Gympie. Similarly, if travel is to USC SouthBank, a staff member can catch a train to and from Brisbane or Caboolture. Reasonable costs for public transport will be reimbursed.
  • University vehicle - with the prior approval of the Head of School or Director, a staff member may use a University vehicle, with the cost to be borne by the School or Cost Centre. University vehicles must be used, when available, in preference to rental vehicles or privately owned vehicles.
  • Car Pooling - where mutually convenient with other staff who are travelling between sites, especially when utilising University vehicles.
  • Private Vehicle use – in exceptional circumstances only, a staff member can seek approval to drive their own vehicle and a mileage allowance would be paid on completion of the appropriate documentation. The vehicle must be covered by either a comprehensive or third party property damage insurance policy.

University staff are covered under the University’s Workers’ compensation insurance policy for work related direct travel (journey) to and from any University site.

Staff will not be reimbursed for the purchase of food and drink during the course of travel, as the cost of these items is considered a private and domestic expense.

Sessional and casual staff are not covered by these Guidelines.

Back to top

Searching {{model.SearchType}} for "{{model.Query}}" returned more than {{model.MaxResults}} results.
The top {{model.MaxResults}} of {{model.TotalItems}} are shown below, ordered by relevance ({{model.TotalSeconds}} seconds)

Searching {{model.SearchType}} for "{{model.Query}}" returned {{model.TotalItems}} results, ordered by relevance ({{model.TotalSeconds}} seconds)

Searching {{model.SearchType}} for "{{model.Query}}" returned no results.

No search results found for