The Committee recommends to the Academic Board on learning and teaching policy and the accreditation of programs and changes to programs other than for higher degrees by research.
The Committee advises the Academic Board and Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on strategic plans associated with Learning and Teaching.
Terms of reference
- To advise the Academic Board and the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on learning and teaching matters, including University Policy on learning and teaching;
- To advise the Academic Board and Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on strategic plans associated with Learning and Teaching;
- To make recommendations to the Academic Board on proposals for the accreditation of undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs including honours programs, and changes to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs, in accordance with the Program Accreditation and Course Approval - Governing Policy and associated Procedures;
- To approve new courses, new study components, changes to study components and amendments to programs as specified in the Program Accreditation and Course Approval - Governing Policy and associated Procedures
- To make recommendations to the Academic Board regarding the Learning and Teaching Grants scheme;
- To advise the Academic Board and the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on professional development in learning and teaching, blended learning, first-year experience, Work Integrated Learning and other key areas of learning and teaching;
- To advise the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on the preparation of key submissions to government related to learning and teaching.
Chairperson (nominated by the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor)
- Professor Karen Nelson, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Students)
Faculty Associate Deans (Learning and Teaching)
- Professor Cindy Davis (Faculty of Arts and Business)
- Dr Graham Ashford (Faculty of Science, Health, Education and Engineering)
An experienced teacher from each School
- Dr Ian White (School of Communication and Creative Industries)
- Associate Professor Kelley Burton (USC Law School)
- Dr Geoff Lovell (School of Social Sciences)
- Dr Retha de Villiers Scheepers (School of Business)
- Associate Professor Michael Christie (School of Education)
- Dr Jane Taylor (School of Health and Sport Sciences)
- Associate Professor Jennifer Rowe (School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine)
- Dr Aaron Wiegand (School of Science and Engineering)
Pro Vice-Chancellor (International and Quality) (or nominee)
Director, Student Services and Engagement (or nominee)
- Mr Tony Reed
Director, Student Wellbeing (or nominee)
- Ms Jane Anderson (nominee)
Director, Centre for Support and Advancement of Learning and Teaching
Undergraduate and postgraduate student (excluding HDR students)
- to be advised (postgraduate)
- Ms Chelsea Wallis (undergraduate)
Up to three additional members co-opted by the Chairperson for a specified term
Invited to attend as appropriate (having participatory, but not voting, rights)
- Pro Vice-Chancellors and Directors as required
- Any visitors with the approval of the Chairperson
In attendance (having participatory, but not voting, rights)
- Ms Caroline Cottman, Academic Development Officer, Centre for Support and Advancement of Learning and Teaching
- Ms Sharon Lenord, nominee of the Director, Information Services
- Ms Kareen Dwyer, Senior Curriculum and Program Accreditation Officer, Academic Secretariat
- Ms Kim Lerch, Minute Secretary
Observers (no rights)
- Any person with the approval of the Chairperson
Tenure and frequency of meetings
- There will be at least four meetings of the Committee each year.
- The Executive Deans’ nominees will serve for a period of two years.
- The student members will serve for a period of one year with a maximum of two consecutive terms of office.