Accessibility links



For you to be eligible to be covered for University insurance whilst undertaking a placement you must be a student with an active enrolment status in accordance with the definition provided in the Admissions, Enrolments and Graduation – Academic Policy.

Unpaid placements that are a course requirement

A student who undertakes an approved unpaid placement in Australia or Overseas as a requirement of their course or degree program is covered by the University's Student Personal Accident, Public Liability, Professional Indemnity and Medical Malpractice (where applicable) insurances whilst involved in approved placement activities. Any activity which is not part of the placement (for example extreme sports, sightseeing or shopping) is not covered by the University insurance.

Student Personal Accident Insurance

The Student Personal Accident insurance covers enrolled students of the University of the Sunshine Coast and provides 24-hour cover, 365 days a year for accidental death and capital benefits while undertaking approved unpaid WIL placements in Australia. The cover is for accident only not sickness. The policy provides benefits for death, disability, some loss wages and medical expenses arising from accidental injury. Medical expenses where there is a full or partial Medicare rebate / benefit are not covered therefore students will be responsible for any out of pocket expenses, should they choose to be treated by a medical practitioner or facility that does not “bulk bill”. The policy assumes they will be treated in a public hospital. This policy should not be seen as a substitute for private medical health cover and / or work cover or accident and life cover.

Public Liability Insurance

You are indemnified for your legal liability in respect of third party claims for damages to property or injury to persons while undertaking approved unpaid placement. This cover does not extend to incidents involving motor vehicles.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

The University holds professional indemnity insurance which covers you, when you act within the limits of your training, for legal liability arising out of a breach of professional duty by reason of any negligent act, error or omission committed or alleged to have been committed by you whilst engaged in an approved unpaid placement.

Medical Malpractice Insurance

Medical Malpractice Coverage is for you undertaking placement that require clinical experience placements within Australia. The policy provides cover against civil liability for compensation arising from any claim as a result of medical malpractice. All treatment given by you must be under the direct supervision or express instruction of a qualified practitioner. All applicable clinical protocols must be followed. All patients or guardians must be fully informed and consent must be obtained before commencing any care, procedure or intervention.

Personal Property Insurance

Your personal property is not covered by the University’s Insurance at any time. If you wish to arrange cover for personal items you must do so at your own expense.

Motor Vehicle Insurance

If you use your private car(s) and/or motorcycles on off campus placements it is your responsibility to arrange insurance as University insurance does not extend to motor vehicles. All students should ensure any vehicle they travel in is road worthy with current fully paid registration and a minimum of current compulsory third party insurance.

If you wish to arrange your own motor vehicle(s) and/or motor cycle(s) insurance you must do so at your own expense. If you are driving a vehicle owned by the Industry Partner, insurance is the responsibility of the Industry Partner and not the University. However, you should note that if you use one of your Industry Partner's vehicles the Industry Partner's vehicle may not be covered for those who are not employees of the Industry Partner's organisation.

Personal Health Insurance

The University does not provide any medical insurance cover. If you wish to arrange private health cover, you must do so at your own expense. Australian students are covered under Medicare and international students must have health insurance as a condition of their entry to Australia. International students are advised to contact USC International in relation to Overseas Student Health Cover.


The University Student Personal Accident insurance may cover you for accidents overseas which occur whilst engaged in an activity which is part of the placement and is officially organised and under the control of the University. For further information please contact

Notification of accidents, incidents and injuries

Accidents, incidents or injuries that occur at a placement facility should be reported to your supervisor and procedures of the facility followed, including completion of any workplace health and safety forms.

In addition, a USC Incident / Injury Report Form should be completed, signed by your supervisor and submitted to the University’s Health Safety and Wellbeing area of HR, as per directions on the form.

If you wish to make a claim complete and submit the Incident report form and email advising the details of the incident and that you would like to make a claim. You will then be emailed the relevant claim form for completion.

Paid Placements

If you receive any form of payment, gratuity or reward for the placement undertaken the University insurance does not extend to you. You should confirm with the placement organisation that you are covered as an employee of their organisation.

Students undertaking a paid placement overseas will be covered by travel insurance for the duration of their placement. However, as a general rule, they will not be covered by Public Liability, Professional Indemnity or injuries sustained whilst at work. The Public Liability, Professional Indemnity or injuries sustained whilst at work should be covered by an employer. Students should contact to confirm coverage prior to departure as the University's insurance policy is subject to change.

Travel overseas and placements

Travel insurance cover

The University insures all outbound University students on exchange (ie. placement) for up to 12 months in any one journey, as long as it is an approved placement. In some circumstances students may be required to purchase their own comprehensive travel insurance.

If you travel via another country OR do travel within your host country before or after your placement, you must purchase your own insurance for this period. If you travel from Australia directly to your host country and directly back, you are covered by University insurance during this time.

It is important to note that the University insurance policy could exclude cover for travel to countries where the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) have issued a specific warning not to travel. Insurers can reject claims such as evacuation costs under the policy if there had been a warning before the date of the journey was booked advising that such events were likely to occur or an occurrence being foreseeable to a reasonable person before a traveller entered the country. All claims for loss or damage, injury or sickness can be rejected if caused by an act of war (whether declared or not) including invasion or civil war, or if you do not meet the conditions the insurer sets. Insurers can reject medical claims for pre-existing medical conditions. If you are aware of an existing health/medical condition which may impact on your travel, it is advisable that you obtain written confirmation with your medical practitioner that you are fit to travel.

Overseas travel

Travel overseas (outside of Australia) for University purposes will not be approved to areas under current DFAT warnings "Do not travel" or "Reconsider your need to travel" or if insurance cover is not available.

In preparation for any overseas travel, you should do the following

Organise comprehensive travel insurance for any personal travel you do before and after your approved placement and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy

Register travel and contact details with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Subscribe to DFATs travel advice for your upcoming destination(s) to receive free email updates each time the travel advice is reissued

The Government has developed a website that provides information for students studying overseas. You may find the travelling overseas section helpful to prepare for your travel.

Back to top

Back to top

Searching {{model.SearchType}} for "{{model.Query}}" returned more than {{model.MaxResults}} results.
The top {{model.MaxResults}} of {{model.TotalItems}} are shown below, ordered by relevance ({{model.TotalSeconds}} seconds)

Searching {{model.SearchType}} for "{{model.Query}}" returned {{model.TotalItems}} results, ordered by relevance ({{model.TotalSeconds}} seconds)

Searching {{model.SearchType}} for "{{model.Query}}" returned no results.

No search results found for