Indigenous Services enhances the health, education and employment aspirations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and community through offering a culturally safe space to explore identity and knowledge.
Indigenous Services implement various student empowerment and community engagement initiatives to build self-belief and promote a strong sense of belonging.
In building the capacity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, we focus on enhancing the strength and resilience of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through a framework built on respect for individuals and their communities.
Indigenous Services helps to achieve this by:
- developing and implementing the whole of University's approach to Reconciliation
- developing support programs and student facilities for students
- developing strategies to employ more Indigenous staff across University
- organising cultural activities and events within University, eg annual Indigenous Education Symposium
- providing academic assistance to students
- providing a culturally safe Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander presence on campus and a contact point for students, staff and community members
- providing the University with information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culture and knowledge
- providing study equipment such as laptops and textbooks other resources for loan by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- supporting career choices and assisting with employment options
- delivering cultural awareness workshops for staff and students
More information on study assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
2017 significant dates
- 13 February — National Apology
- 17 March — National Close the Gap Day
- 26 May — National Sorry Day
- 27 May — 1967 Referendum
- 27 May–3 June — National Reconciliation Week
- 3 June — Mabo Day
- 1 July — The Coming of the Light Festival
- 3–10 July — NAIDOC Week
- 4 August — National Aboriginal and Islander Children's Day
- 9 August — International Day of the World's Indigenous People
- 6 September — Indigenous Literacy Day