- Clinical Psychology
- addiction and substance abuse disorders
- adolescent and adult health and mental health
- childhood trauma
- grandparent headed families
- psychotic disorders
Dr Andrew Wood joined the Discipline of Psychology in the School of Social Sciences, Faculty of Arts, Business and Law in March 2016.
Andrew is a clinical psychologist who coordinates and teaches courses in the Master of Psychology (Clinical) program, provides clinical supervision to the clinical psychology students, and research supervision to Master’s students. Andrew is also the externship Placement Coordinator for the program.
Andrew qualified at Griffith University with a Doctor of Philosophy (Clinical Psychology). He has worked in a number of clinical and community settings in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast across the private, non-government and government health sectors. Andrew has also worked within the education system supporting and developing student wellbeing initiatives. Andrew co-authored the Time for Grandparents program, which for the past decade, has supported grandparents who are the primary carers for their grandchildren.
- Registered Psychologist with Clinical Endorsement – Psychology Board of Australia
- Member Australian Psychological Society
- Associate Member APS College of Clinical Psychologists
- Adjunct Research Fellow – Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research, University of Queensland (2015–2018)
Selected research publications
- Wood, A. P., Dawe, S., & Gullo, M. J. (2013). The role of personality, family influences, and prosocial risk-taking behaviour on substance use in early adolescence. Journal of Adolescence, 36, 871-881. doi:10.1016/j.adolescence.2013.07.003.
- Dawe, S., Loxton, N., Gullo, M., Staiger, P., Kambouropoulos, N., Perdon, L., & Wood, A. (2007). The role of impulsive personality traits in the initiation, development, and treatment of substance misuse problems. In Miller, P. & Kavanagh, D. (Eds.). Translation of addictions science into practice. Amsterdam: Pergamon.
- Harnett, P. H., Frye, S., & Wood, A. (2008). Grandma, you make me want to touch the sky: A guide for grandparents raising grandchildren. Brisbane: Seniors Enquiry Line.
- Harnett, P. H., Frye, S., & Wood, A. (2008). Time for grandparents program: Facilitator's guide. Brisbane: Seniors Enquiry Line.
Potential research projects for HDR and Honours students
- (Industry partner project) Mindfulness skills training for staff and trainee health service providers working in a large public health setting.
- (Industry partner project) Development and implementation of a health and community youth survey (industry partner project)
|Grant/Project name||Investigators||Funding body and A$ value||Year(s)||Focus of research grant|
|School of Social Sciences Collaborative Research Grant||Dr Andrew Wood (USC), Dr Bridie Scott-Parker (USC), Dr Matthew Gullo (UQ Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research)||School of Social Sciences, USC (A$8,000)||2016–2018||Understanding the mechanisms of change in a community alcohol court diversion program|
|Industry funding||Dr Andrew Wood (USC), Dr Bridie Scott-Parker (USC), Dr Matthew Gullo (UQ Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research)||Community Solutions Industry (A$5,600)||2016–2018||Understanding the mechanisms of change in a community alcohol court diversion program|