- Graphic Design
- Digital Imaging
- graphic arts, design and technology
- design and design education
- visual communication
- photo-media theory and digital photo imaging
- traditional and digital illustration
Dr Debra Livingston began her career in the non-commercial television industry, studied visual communication and photography, worked for professional studios and agencies and ran her own freelance graphic design studio until 1995.
She lectured in photography and graphic design at the Queensland College of Art (QCA), Griffith University and Queensland University of Technology (QUT) until joining the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) in 1999 as a lecturer in Digital Design.
Dr Livingston is actively involved in the design industry, winning a Brisbane Advertising and Design, BAd Person of the Year in 2006 and has exhibited her work locally, nationally and internationally, achieving awards for her graphic design, photography and new photo-media imaging.
Her works are in private and public collections. Dr Livingston was awarded an Australian Learning and Teaching Council citation in 2010 for outstanding contributions to student learning by generating scholarly activities that enhance and influence student learning to extend beyond the classroom, notably, for empowering design students by leading innovative and inspiring practicum experiences through integrating local, national and international professional industry practices into their lives and study.
- Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA)
- Australian Graphic Design Student Council (AGDA)
- Brisbane Advertising and Design Club (BADC)
- Social Alternatives Journal Editorial Board
- Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for outstanding contributions to student learning, (2010), ALTC Research Grants
- Awarded Brisbane Advertising and Design Person of the Year, 2006
- Awarded First Prize for the Museums Australia Multimedia and Publications Awards 2006 (MAPDA) (category: National Design Award for Exhibition Invitation).
- Brisbane Advertising and Design Awards 2003, 2 Silver Awards for Design, Exhibition Catalogue
|Project name||Investigators||Funding body||Year||Focus|
|Linking research, practice and curriculum development||Chandler L. and Livingston D.||Internal research funding by the University of the Sunshine Coast||To investigate the application of the iPad as a tool for facilitating collaborative and constructive learning in a first-year design course.|
|Nurturing Creativity: Typographic visual abstraction through the letterpress poster||Internal research funding by the University of the Sunshine Coast||2011||To help students explore new perspectives and enhance their learning in making aware the typographic terms and designing physical layouts, a traditional letterpress workshop partnered students with established and international designers.|
|Solo exhibition: Organic Simulcast||Livingston D.||University of the Sunshine Coast Seed Research Grant||2005-2006||To examine strategies using photographic forms of electronic virtual experiences which to communicate a positive and sustainable relationship with our environment.|
|Solo exhibition: ‘Dis/Placed Realms’||Livingston D.||University of the sunshine Coast Seed Research Grant||2003-2004||To examine the blurring of boundaries between synthetic and organic life and between actual and virtual environments which to recognise that major historical shifts in our perception of the world have occurred through the increased use of computing technology.|