- Research Methods in Psychology
- Physiological Psychology
- Cognitive and Perceptual Psychology
- sport and exercise psychology
- mental imagery
- sleep and human performance
- exercise and mental health
- youth talent development programs
Dr Geoff Lovell is a recent recipient of a highly competitive OLT Citation from the Commonwealth Office for Learning and Teaching recognising his 22 years of excellence in inspiring and motivating psychology and sports science students to actively engage in learning through enthusiastic, student-centred teaching practice. Geoff's teaching credo is ‘Enthusiasm is Everything!’ Through his passionate, enthusiastic and theoretically grounded teaching practice, Geoff actively engages students in the learning process. He has an extensive repertoire of real-world examples, data, case studies and stories drawn from his extensive experience in research, applied sports psychology and coaching at the elite level, with which he enlivens his classes and motivates his students to succeed in both their studies and professional lives.
Geoff graduated from St. Mary’s College Twickenham UK in 1991 before taking a psychophysiology research scholar position at the Manchester Metropolitan University where he gained his sports psychology PhD in 1998.
After leaving Manchester, Geoff combined applied practice with academic positions first at Roehampton University London, then at Kingston University as the Principle Lecturer and Course Director for Sports Science. he then moved to the Gold Coast where he worked at Bond University as a part time Assistant Professor, and with Sport and Recreation Queensland as a Senior Adviser. Before taking a position at USC, he returned to the UK for two years as the Course Leader for the University of Gloucestershire’s Masters degree in Applied Sport and Exercise Sciences and a sport and exercise psychology consultant at the Wimbledon Parkside Hospital in London.
As a UK-registered psychologist, and as a kayak coach, Geoff has been to numerous major international sporting championships as a member of national teams including five European Championships, four World Championships, the 2002 Commonwealth Games, and the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games. He is also privileged to be able to state that through his roles as a UK-registered psychologist and a coach, he has worked very closely with World Cup, European Championship, World Championship, and Paralympic and Olympic medal winners.
Geoff has experience in applied and theoretical research, as well as both qualitative and quantitative research design methodologies. Currently he is supervising several PhD and Master of Science by Research students.
- Australian Psychological Society
- British Psychology Society (BPS, UK): Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol.)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES, UK): Accredited as a support and research sport and exercise psychologist (since 1996)
- USC Advance Awards, 2016: AQT award for Advancing Quality Teaching. Awarded for teaching staff and teaching teams who engage students in a quality learning experience by applying rich and engaging teaching approaches that substantially improve students' learning experiences. Awarded to Dr Kate Mulgrew as the team leader and the PSY102 teaching team (including Geoff Lovell)
- OLT Citation for 22 years of excellence in inspiring and motivating psychology and sports science students to actively engage in learning through enthusiastic, student-centred teaching practice, Commonwealth Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT), 2014
- Advance Award: Advancing Quality Teaching, 2014, University of the Sunshine Coast
- University of Gloucestershire, Research Development Grant 2007