- Advertising Account / Strategy Planning
- Channel Communication
- Marketing Communication
- advertising account planning
- authentic assessment
- work integrated learning
- problem-based learning
- graduate attributes and competencies in marketing communication
- environmental sustainability and conservation
Professor Rod McCulloch is an advertising practitioner, academic and author and holds a Research Doctorate in Communication, a Masters Degree in Marketing and a Graduate Certificate in University Leadership and Management. His Doctoral dissertation was titled 'An Assessment of Changing Graduate Attributes and Competencies in the Marketing Communication Industry'.
Prior to joining USC in January 2011, Professor McCulloch was an Associate Professor in Advertising and Head of the School of Communication at Charles Sturt University, Australia. He also represented that University as Sub Dean (Partnerships) in the development and delivery of national and transnational programs and professional courses for the University’s institutional partners, as well as programs from the Charles Sturt University campus in Ontario, Canada.
Professor McCulloch is an academic and researcher with a strong professional and industry background. He is a publisher and speaker on advertising account planning, as well as researching and publishing in the area of work-integrated learning, problem-based learning and authentic assessment.
He is recognised as a leading international academic and has spoken at academic and education conferences in the United States, the United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Malaysia. He has currently completed the manuscript for a book on international advertising account planning in the digital media environment.
He is also a member of, and an active researcher in, the national research centre—the Institute for Land, Water and Society (ILWS).
Combining both a strong academic and practitioner background, Professor McCulloch is the recipient of three International Advertising Association (IAA) international advertising awards, as well as numerous Australian industry awards.
Before moving into academia, Professor McCulloch had more than 30 years experience in the advertising and marketing communication industry in Australia and internationally, working for both national and multinational companies.
Clients included Esso, Toyota, PepsiCo (KFC), Tesco and the British Army. He owned and managed his own Sydney-based advertising agency, Barnes McCulloch Advertising for 15 years.
Today, Professor McCulloch maintains an active participation in the industry in Australia and internationally through participation on national and international industry committees including active involvement with the Communications Council (Australia) and the Media Federation of Australia (MFA), as well as through his role as a Director for Education and member of the Board of the International Advertising Association (IAA) Australia Chapter.
- International Advertising Association (Australia Chapter) Director for Education
- International Advertising Association World Education Committee
- Australian and New Zealand Marketing Communications Association (ANZMA)
- Australian and New Zealand Advertising Academy (ANZAA) (Founding member)
- World Association for Cooperative Education – Australian Collaborative Education Network (WACE–ACEN)
- Expert Reference Panel, Australian Federal Government Independent Department Committee on Communications (IDCC), Canberra
- New South Wales Government Department of Education Higher Education Assessment Committee, Sydney
- Higher Education Academy (HEA) Fellowship, 2016, in recognition and reward of teaching excellence
- International Advertising Association (IAA) Medal for Merit, 2014
- IAA Big Idea National Marketing Communication Competition National Champion, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010
- Top 10 nominee for UniJobs Lecturer of the Year, 2009
- ALTC Citation winner for ‘Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning’, 2007
- Faculty of Arts Award winner for ‘Teaching Excellence’, Charles Sturt University, 2007
- IAA InterAd International Marketing Communications Competition World Champion, 2002 and 2005