- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Sport Nutrition
- Pre-Placement preparation
- Nutrition Epidemiology: Changes in lifestyle behaviour during urbanisation as well as aging and its impact on various nutrition-related health outcomes.
- Sport Nutrition: Energy status and its relationship to reproductive function and bone mineral density in active individuals.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: Exploring nutrition interventions and best practice guidelines in health outcomes of various disease states.
- Teaching and Learning: innovative approaches
Hattie is a registered dietitian in South Africa and Accredited Practising Dietitian in Australia. She has been teaching medical nutrition therapy for over 15 years to third and fourth year dietetic students and is passionate about developing students’ ability to apply their knowledge and evolve their dietetic skills through innovative teaching and learning methods. She also has a passion for sports nutrition and has been teaching sport nutrition to under- and postgraduate students since 2002.
Her research interest lies in the field of Nutrition and Exercise for health, focusing on energy status and how it relates to health outcomes of active individuals, as well as the role of lifestyle behaviour and disease outcomes. She is actively involved in various professional bodies and is a board member of Professionals in Nutrition for Exercise and Sport (PINES) since 2005.