- Professional Learning in the Graduate Diploma in Education, Combined Degree and Primary Degree
- Vocational Education and Training
- Alternative Schooling Pedagogies
- professional development opportunities for teach mentors in schools
- professional learning strategies that enable the linking of theory and practice and empower students as pre-service teachers for workplace readiness
- mentoring models for pre-service teachers
- teachers as learning leaders
Elizabeth Toohey has been a teacher within the TAFE sector and was involved in the:
- coordination, design and delivery of a range of products to commercial clients within the frontline management and training and assessment areas
- successful tendering for and implementation of Reframing the Future and LearnScope Projects
- design and implementation of professional development activities for teaching and learning staff
- implementation of mentoring workshops for inducting new staff
- learning design for building e-learning products
- design and delivery of training and assessment workshops to Chinese, Philippino and New Guinea educators
- data collection, analysis and reporting on the impact of professional development in the area of training and assessment for educators within the Pacific vocational education and training sector.
As a lecturer at USC, Ms Toohey has been involved in the:
- coordination and delivery of educational courses within the Graduate Diploma in Education, the undergraduate education program and the Graduate Certificate in Professional Learning and Vocational Education and Training
- Pre-service Teacher Tracker program—an online tool to support teacher mentors and pre-service teachers during their workplace placement
- professional learning liaison role for students engaged in SPE
- involvement in Queensland Consortium for Professional Experience in Pre-service Teacher Education
- formalisation of a Memorandum of Understanding between Sunshine Coast TAFE and the University for the delivery of the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- development of the Vocational Education and Training pathway for pre-service teachers within secondary education and TAFE sectors.
Currently managing Wider Field Experience which is embedded within all Education programs. This involves building partnerships with a range of providers that will further enhance students’ knowledge, skills and confidence in a diversity of areas that will value add to their role as aspiring teachers. This involves meetings, valid documentation and marketing of these opportunities on the BB site.
Ms Toohey also presented at the:
- Southern Cross University in 2012 which in 2013 was published as Chapter 7 of Teacher Education in Australia . . . Developing a mentoring platform for successful engagement of pre-service teachers with their professional learning experience.
- National Vocational Education and Training conference in July 2013 . . . Mobile management of competency: embracing a digital approach with fellow academic Christopher Dann.
- ATEA Conference presentation in 2013 . . . Making mentoring work to create quality outcomes in the professional learning experience of pre-service teachers.
- NAFEA Conference 2014 . . . Growing insights into work integrated learning.
- NAFEA Conference 2015.
As a student, Ms Toohey has completed the confirmation process for her PhD in Education focusing on mentoring models for pre-service teachers and is now collecting and processing data from teacher mentors and pre-service teachers using surveys and interviews.