- Postgraduate supervision
- Professional Internship
- health service evaluation
- maternal and child health
- practice development in midwifery and nursing
- motherhood sociology and breastfeeding promotion
- professional issues for nursing and midwifery
Margaret is the inaugural Head of the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine established in January 2012. Margaret has extensive experience in the tertiary sector and has led the development and implementation of nursing and midwifery programs at USC and elsewhere.
Margaret's research interests centre on midwifery and maternal and child health, specifically the transition to motherhood and breastfeeding promotion. Margaret has led a number of collaborative research projects with local health services and is co-editor of the Australian and New Zealand text, "Child Youth and Family Health: Strengthening Communities”.
Margaret has been a team member with colleagues from the International Project Group in successful Australian Leadership Award Fellowship grants which have funded projects to build leadership in Nursing Education in Eastern Indonesian to address Millennium Development Goals.
- Barnes, M. Sutherns, S. Successful Clinical Academic Fellowship – Office of Health and Medical Research and Queensland Office of Nursing and Midwifery to fund joint position with Nambour General Hospital A$75,000 per year for 3 years.
- Learning about mothering and baby: Implementing a perinatal parenting program for first time mothers. Rowe J, Barnes M, Sutherns S, Downer T, & Evans A. OHMR Project Implementation Grant Application, Queensland Health A$14,196.
- Supporting and promoting exclusive breastfeeding and appropriate introduction of complementary food; The Staying Connected Project. Chief Investigators; Barnes M., Rowe J. and Sutherns S. Sunshine Coast Health Foundation A$55,000.
- An evaluation of the Newborn and Family Drop in Service, Chief Investigators; Rowe J., Barnes M., Sutherns s., McLean K., Latham N. Sunshine Coast Health Foundation, A$19,629.
- Barnes, M. Roiko, A, Williams, C. Willcocks, K. Exploring experiences and associations between assisted conception and breastfeeding. Queensland Nursing Council Experienced Researcher Grant A$26,884.00