This Indigenous Advisory Committee makes recommendations to and advises the Vice-Chancellor and President on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander policy matters relevant to the University. The role of the Committee is to provide strategic advice and guidance to the Vice-Chancellor and President on the achievement of outcomes for Indigenous students and staff, and research and curriculum matters associated with the University, consistent with the Strategic Plan 2016-2020 and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education and employment initiatives.
Terms of reference
- To advise the University on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student matters including equitable access, participation, retention and success.
- To monitor outcomes and advise on strategies to increase the employment and career development of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in academic and non-academic roles at the University.
- To review the impact of University and government policy developments on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and student outcomes.
- To collaborate with employer and industry/professional bodies to build and extend pathways into higher education for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- To advise on development of the University’s Indigenous cultural competence, including the strategic direction and excellence of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education and research.
- An Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander member of University Council (Chairperson)
- Vice-Chancellor and President
- Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Students)
- Community members (3)
- Manager, North Coast Region Indigenous Education Unit, Education Queensland
- State Government representative
- TAFE representative
- Industry/professional representatives (2)
- Manager, Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience (AIME)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander representatives of Faculty (2)
- Buranga Indigenous Student Committee (BISC) Co-Chairs (2)
- Head of Indigenous Services, Buranga Centre
- Director, Human Resources
- In attendance - Secretary
Membership of 19. Quorum of 10
All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander members of USC staff are welcome to be in attendance at meetings of the Vice-Chancellor and President’s Indigenous Advisory Committee.
The Vice-Chancellor and President’s Indigenous Advisory Committee may invite any person to attend specific meetings, or co-opt members to the Committee or as part of working parties or sub-groups, to assist the Committee in its deliberations or undertake nominated tasks.
Tenure and frequency of meetings
- Members of this Indigenous Advisory Committee (other than ex officio members) shall serve for terms of up to two (2) years, concluding on 30 June of the relevant anniversary year.
- A minimum of three meetings a year is required. As a guide, these meetings would best serve the University to be at the end of February, end of July and end of November, each year.
Vice-Chancellor's Indigenous Advisory Committee Minutes and agendas
Copies of the Vice-Chancellor's Indigenous Advisory Committee minutes and agendas are available on MyUSC under the relevant meeting folder.