Published on 23 September 2014
USC student Jake Briggs of Brightwater last week took a giant step closer to achieving his dream of becoming a water infrastructure engineer.
Jake, 20, was announced as the winner of the $10,000 Unitywater Scholarship in Civil Engineering at the annual USC Engineering Awards Ceremony on Thursday 18 September.
The high-achieving, third-year Civil Engineering student, who is majoring in Environment and Water, also won the $5,000 Graham Tamblyn Scholarship last year.
“I chose this degree because I really want to work with water – whether it’s reservoirs, supply, quality or sanitation,” the former Nambour Christian College student said.
“I’m very excited that another part of the scholarship is the opportunity to do paid work at Unitywater during uni holidays over the next two years.
“This chance to work at Unitywater and prove myself to them and hopefully get a job there when I graduate is fantastic.”
Jake, who will use the scholarship funds to cover his study costs, thanked Unitywater in his acceptance speech. He said he hoped to give the company a good return on its investment and be an asset to Unitywater in the future.
Another 12 scholarships, prizes and bursaries worth almost $40,000 were presented to other top USC engineering students at the awards ceremony:
- Thomas Watkins – $9,000 Weir Minerals Multiflo Scholarship
- Sarah Norman – $5,000 Graham Tamblyn Scholarship
- Brittany Elliott – $5,000 2014 Skills Qld Supporting Women Scholarship
- Stephen Kime – $5,000 GHD Scholarship in Civil Engineering (Environment and Water)
- Lisa Hunt – $5,000 GHD Scholarship in Environmental Science
- Darcy Korn – $5,000 Les and Mary Hall Family Scholarship
- Timothy Burke – $2,000 Contour Consulting and UDIA Engineering Scholarship
- Sarah Norman – $1,000 L.E.W. Mosel Prize
- Kara Dougan – $500 Engineers Australia Sunshine Coast Prize
- Olivia Shipton – $500 Laurie Cowled Women in Engineering Prize
- Neil Fontin – $500 Mark and Susan Bradley Engineering Prize
- Michael Greeff – $200 Australian Steel Institute Design Prize
— Jane Cameron