We value and support outstanding teaching and work hard to create a learning environment in which students have every opportunity to flourish.
- Learning and teaching services for staff
- Learning and teaching services for students
- Learning and teaching engagement activities
Learners are at the centre of our learning and teaching practice. As a result USC is the only public University in Queensland to earn five stars for teaching quality in the Good Universities Guide annually since 2010 *.
We provide our students with inclusive, personalised support in conjunction with programs that allow them ample opportunities to engage with their discipline, profession and community, including work integrated learning, entrepreneurship, overseas study opportunities.
The University's teaching and support staff are known to:
- engage students and foster their curiosity
- facilitate student-centered learning and teaching experiences
- recognise students’ existing knowledge and experience
- enable students to become independent and life-long learners
- provide a range of suitable learning experiences, including collaborative learning, where knowledge can be tested and explored; and
- respect and support the development of students as individuals.
Our academic staff actively participate in professional learning and discipline-based research.
An internal teaching grant scheme and extensive support for national grant and award applicants enable USC staff up to engage in research and development projects related to teaching excellence and student learning.
Learning and teaching strategy
The Learning and Teaching - Academic Policy articulates the principles that underpin learning and teaching at USC, including the University's approach to graduate attributes.
The Teaching Learning and Graduate Outcomes Plan 2011-2015 articulates key objectives and strategies for learning and teaching.
The Blended Learning Strategy outlines our commitment to the integration of educational technologies and face-to-face teaching to enhance the student learning experience.
The University boasts a highly engaged Learning and Teaching Committee and, an active and responsive Centre for Support and Advancement of Learning and Teaching (C-SALT).
Learning and teaching is within the portfolio of Professor Birgit Lohmann, Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
C-SALT produces a magazine celebrating the University's success in learning and teaching:
- 2014 A Celebration of Learning and Teaching (PDF 1.7MB)
- 2013 Celebrating Excellence in Learning and Teaching (PDF 3.2MB)
- 2012 A Celebration of Learning and Teaching (PDF 20MB)
- 2011 A Celebration of Learning and Teaching (PDF 1.9MB)
For PDF documents you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe Download page.
- Curriculum and Teaching support
- Blended learning at USC
- Assessment at USC
- Professional learning for teaching staff
- Grants and awards for learning and teaching
- Graduate Attributes
- Learning and Teaching Week
- USC spaces
- Information technology services for staff
- Student support and services
- Graduate Attributes
- USC spaces
- The Student Engagement Program (StEP) (USC login required)
The University engages with local schools, professional bodies, businesses, other tertiary providers and community members in a diverse range of collaborative projects that advance the opportunities for tertiary education.
Contact the Centre for Support and Advancement of Learning and Teaching (C-SALT)
Telephone: +61 7 5456 5126
* The ratings awarded by the Good Universities Guide utilise information obtained from the Department of Education, Science and Training, the University, and results from the national Graduate Destination Survey.