What is Headstart?
Headstart is a transition program for Year 11 and 12 students to study USC courses while still completing high school.
Headstart gives you a taste of university life and helps you prepare for future study.
You can work towards entry to a USC degree, expand your knowledge and skills, and interact with university staff and students.
Getting a Headstart — The benefits
- Familiarise yourself with university
- Broaden your education and life experience
- Enhance your performance at school
Getting a Headstart — Special advantages
- Gain credit towards your Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
- Gain credit towards related USC degrees
- Get guaranteed entry into USC if you successfully complete two courses within the Headstart program ^
- Be made an early and guaranteed offer into a USC program through the Early Offer Guarantee ^#
- Your performance in the Headstart program will not affect your OP—this is still calculated based on your performance at school.
^ You may also be required to meet additional entry requirements for programs with high entry cut-offs and/or prerequisites.
# You must be attending a School that has registered to participate in the Early Offer Guarantee scheme.
Getting a Headstart — Is it for me?
- You have a passion or skill in a particular area of study at school
- You would like to advance your school studies to the next level
- You have the academic skills to research study topics, write assessment pieces and sit for exams
- You can manage your own studies and schedule of commitments
- You are mature enough to learn alongside people of all ages and backgrounds
- Overall, you are doing well at school (achieving above-average results)
- an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian permanent resident or a Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder, a non domestic student on a visa other than an international student visa. Students on an international Student visa are not eligible.
- currently completing a full workload of Year 11 or 12 curriculum.
- achieving a B grade average or better †
- have the approval of your school to apply.
† Special circumstances may be considered on a case by case basis. The school must attach a written statement setting out the student's case for consideration.
If English is not your first language, you need to meet the minimum English language requirements for your chosen program.
Join us and take the opportunity to speak with USC staff, talk to Headstart students about their experience, learn more about the courses you can study, and have your questions answered.
Sippy Downs - Wednesday 9 September
Gympie - Tuesday 8 September
For more information on the Headstart Program contact Student Central on Tel: 5430 2890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* For PDF documents you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe Download page.