Benefits for students
In today’s workplace, employers are looking for graduates with real-life work experience who can quickly play a significant role and help the organisation achieve its objectives. Undertaking an internship component as part of a USC degree helps students prepare to meet these expectations. It provides the opportunity to:
- put theory into practice
- establish networking opportunities
- develop your ability to think critically and creatively
- develop a range of essential generic skills sought by employers
- investigate employment prospects
- demonstrate what you can do
- find out what you want and do not want to do and
- establish a work history and learn how the professional sector works
Jake Cosmai, BUS331 Intern, Semester 2, 2013
"Participating in the BUS331 Internship course with the Caloundra Fringe Festival has allowed me to broaden my networks, understand how to effectively manage stakeholders and provide successful marketing and communications activities for the event. I highly recommend this course to any student looking to gain valuable, real world experience."
Kelsey Moore, BUS331 Intern, Semester 1, 2014
Business/Arts student Kelsey Moore said her 2014 Marketing internship with self-employed author/illustrator Peter Rowe was inspirational. She helped a small team market ‘Josh the Robot’ children’s books and other artworks created by Mr. Rowe, who has Down Syndrome and is non-verbal, requiring him to use a system of Facilitated Communication. “I saw this fantastic internship opportunity and I’m loving the opportunity to get real, hands-on work experience and market something so meaningful.”
Heinrich Wilsenach, BUS331 Intern, Semester 2, 2014
“Just thought I would give you a quick update on where I am and what I am doing after USC and post internship. First of all, thank you for giving me the opportunity to do an internship, as well as helping me find one! I truly enjoyed the internship with Dr. Wardner in USC’s Office of Engagement - it was a big learning curve and challenge, but I think it had immense substance to add to my resume and skill set. The internship acted as a foundation for me, in that through working with the Office of Engagement I consistently found new opportunities presenting themselves. The people I met and relationships I have built during the internship have led me to gaining casual employment with the Office of Engagement as well as an internship with the Sunshine Coast Council (Economic Development Department). In conclusion, I want to say thank you for giving me the opportunity to do an internship with Dr. Wardner and for all your help in getting my subjects sorted and finding a placement.”
Responsibilities of students
During the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) placement the student / intern agrees to the following:
- To abide by the requirements of the workplace where they are undertaking the internship (including, but not limited to, such items as punctual attendance for agreed hours of work, respecting the standard of dress required in the workplace, maintaining confidentiality of information, proper use of resources, etc.).
- To complete the work allocated by their workplace supervisor to the best of their ability and within the time frames outlined by their workplace supervisor.
- To submit the required assessment items to the University as detailed in the relevant Course Outline.
- All FABL students must sign a Student Internship Agreement which includes a confidentiality statement, student responsibilities, code of conduct and declaration; and must be signed by the student/intern prior to commencing the internship.
- Abide by USC’s Student Conduct – Governing Policy.
Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is governed by the Work Integrated Learning – Academic Policy. This policy describes the University’s approach to work integrated learning, outlines rights and obligations, and describes roles and responsibilities.
For general enquiries about Faculty of Arts, Business and Law work integrated learning opportunities please contact:
Faculty of Arts, Business and Law
Tel: +61 7 5430 1259