Domestic and International applicants
Step 1: Consider entry requirements
Review the admission requirements on the Why study this program tab of your chosen program.
Entry is highly competitive and depends on:
- your academic background
- the submission of a suitable research proposal
- the availability of a registered supervisor
- the availability of resources to support your proposed research topic
Step 2: Find a Supervisor
Use the Research Supervisor Search to find a potential supervisor in your area of research. You may nominate a supervisor on your application form regardless of whether you've been able to contact them prior to submitting your application.
Step 3: Develop a research proposal
You will need to develop a research proposal before submitting an application. Refer to the "Instructions for HDR Applicants" document provided below for guidance.
Step 4: Complete an application form
* For PDF documents you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe Download page.
Step 5: Submit completed application form
There are two steps to submit a complete application (please note incomplete applications cannot be processed):
- Post your completed and signed application form with certified supporting documents (postal address provided in Instructions for HDR applicants); AND
- Email an electronic copy of your application with scanned copies of supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may apply at any time as entry dates to higher degrees by research are flexible. Only complete applications (including certified supporting documents) will be considered. Applications take approximately 6-8 weeks to be processed (longer during peak periods in May-June and October-November).
International students: Additional information is available on International students.
- Visit askUSC to find instant answers to frequently asked questions, or to lodge a more specific question
- Contact the relevant faculty (Faculty of Arts, Business and Law or Faculty of Science, Health, Education and Engineering) to discuss your intended research topic and for assistance to locate a possible supervisor
- Email email@example.com for other enquiries