The Student Success Network provides a friendly and supportive environment where students can connect with other students to share ideas, experiences, challenges and advice about both the academic and social aspects of being a student, and build networks to support and guide you through your program.
You can connect with a Student Success Leader, a more experienced student who has been in your shoes before and know that university can be an exciting but sometimes challenging journey. Student Success Leaders want to share their experiences with you, offer support, hints and tips to help you along the road to success.
You can also become a Student Success Leader and share your experiences with other students.
Connecting to the Student Success Network can assist you to:
- transition to University life, if you're new to USC
- meet new people and find out about social groups or study groups relevant to your discipline
- learn about support services available
- hear and learn from more experienced USC students
You'll be able to meet Student Success Leaders at Orientation. However, if you're keen to get started early or have questions about starting Uni complete the below form and a member of our Student Success Team will phone you to get started. We'll call you between 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday. Alternatively you can contact the Student Success Team via email@example.com.
Apply to be a Student Success Leader for Semester 2, 2017.
We’re looking for Student Success Leaders from a variety of backgrounds and study areas who are passionate about helping others and want to be involved in a range of roles to develop valuable skills, experiences and networks that will be useful for your career.
Student Success Leaders will be provided with relevant training. Volunteer roles will also accrue points towards the USC Student Leadership Award.
Student Success Leader roles
- Getting Started Leader position description
- Study Leader position description
- Volunteer orientation experience and Event Leaders*
How to apply
Complete the form below to register your interest in being a Student Success Leader. If you are interested in applying for a specific role, please follow the instructions outlined on the position description.
* You don't need to complete an application to volunteer at orientation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest.
Applications close Sunday 25 June 2017.
- What do Student Success Leaders do?
Student Success Leaders are involved in a range of activities to support other students. These activities may include:
- Study Leader – connecting with students in the same, or similar program, to provide general advice, face to face meetings, drop-in sessions, referral to services
- Getting Started Leader - to assist new students settle into their studies and uni life
- Volunteer orientation experience and Event Leader
- Am I eligible?
To be a Student Success Leader, you must*:
- Be enrolled in a USC program during your participation in the program
- Be at least 18 yrs old
- Have good spoken and written English
*Some roles may require further criteria.
- What's in it for me?
Giving your time to help other students can give you a sense of achievement and satisfaction, increase your confidence, and help you feel more positive about your learning experience. It can also help you develop valuable skills, experiences and networks that will be useful for your career. You may:
- Build your professional profile
- Enhance your communication and interpersonal skills
- Build a portfolio of leadership skills to enhance your future employability
- Create networks in your school, faculty and across the university
- Be recognised for your contributions to USC and the community
- Make new friends and inspire others
- Be identified for paid work opportunities at USC
- Use your participation to contribute towards the USC Student Leadership Award
Student Success Team
The Student Success Team are a team of experienced students employed by Student Services and Engagement and are here to support your engagement in your studies and maximise your success.
The Student Success Team staff differ to Student Success Leaders because they are employed by the University and have speciality training and knowledge to support student tracking and intervention activities.
Each year, the Student Success team talks with hundreds of students about their studies and assist them to connect with relevant information and support services.
It’s very common for students to need a little guidance or support when facing challenges like:
- Settling into their studies and navigating their way around the new physical and virtual spaces and systems at USC
- Needing extra help with academic content and skills
- Having second thoughts about their programs or course enrolment
- Working out effective strategies for juggling study with work, family and life
- Dealing with unexpected health or personal crises
- Knowing what their options are if they fail a course or experience difficulties with their academic progress.
The Student Success Team:
- provide information and advice about the student support services that are available and assist you to access and use these services.
- will invite you to participate in all sorts of activities and events.
- will ask you about your student experience and value your feedback and suggestions.
- will keep an eye on your academic progress throughout your program and get in touch if we see you may need some guidance or support.
- may reach out and contact you directly to offer information and proactive support via phone, sms or email from time to time.
If you want to get in touch with the Student Success Team complete the form on the left or email email@example.com.
Resources for staff can be found at Monitoring Student Learning Engagement in MyUSC.