The Getting Started Leader is a volunteer role within the Student Success Network.
The Student Success Network provides a friendly and supportive environment where students can connect with other students to share ideas, experiences, challenges and advice.
As part of the role you will complete the Student Success Leaders’ program to develop valuable skills, graduate attributes, experiences and networks that will be useful in your career. The mandatory online leadership training, and role specific training, will provide currency of knowledge and competency of skills required for the role. You will receive points toward the USC Student Leadership Award to recognise your contribution to USC’s learning community.
Getting Started Leaders assist new students settle into their studies and Uni life. This may include engaging with students at pre-semester events, attending orientation activities, facilitate regular meet-up sessions; and participate in program specific events throughout the semester.
This role offers flexibility for you to participate in a variety of the below activities, whilst working around your study commitments:
- Participate in major USC events (such as orientation activities) to meet, greet and guide students in the right direction
- Attend program specific events and meetings to and share program knowledge and experience
- Facilitate regular meet-up sessions to answer general campus enquiries, offer support and give hints and tips to help new students along the road to success
- Engage and build relationships with commencing students to provide a friendly face around campus
- Promote an environment that is inclusive, inspiring, safe and respectful
- Support students transition into Uni life through additional activities and initiatives
We are looking for experienced students who are passionate about helping others. To be considered you must have:
- successfully completed at least one year (8 courses) at USC and be currently enrolled in a USC program
- excellent verbal, written and communication skills
- a good knowledge of USC's services and facilities
- a desire to expand your leadership skills
- a commitment to facilitate and inspire success in your fellow students
Student Success Leaders are not required to commit to a set number of hours per week. Volunteer hours will be negotiated between you and your USC supervisor based on the role requirements and your availability.
How to apply
Submit your application to the Student Success team at email@example.com and include:
- Cover letter, including why you would like to be considered for the position (max. 1 page)
- Resume (max. 2 page)
- Complete the online form to gain access to the USC Student Leadership page on Blackboard
For assistance with preparing your application visit the Resources tab on the Student Hub.