The Study Leader is a volunteer leadership role within the Student Success Network.
The Student Success Network provides a friendly and supportive environment, where students can connect with other students to share ideas, experiences, challenges, and advice.
As part of the role you will complete the Student Success Leaders’ program to develop valuable skills, graduate attributes, experiences, and networks that will be useful in your career. The mandatory leadership training and role specific training will provide currency of knowledge and competency of skills required for the role. You will receive points toward the USC Student Leadership Award to recognise your contribution to USC’s learning community.
Working within the Student Services and Engagement team, Study Leaders support their fellow students to become successful and independent learners. This may include mentoring, support and guidance activities to support learning such as: engaging with students at drop-in services; attending orientation activities and USC events; and participating in program-specific events throughout the semester.
This role offers flexibility for you to participate in a variety of the below activities, whilst working around your study commitments:
- Attend drop in sessions to offer support and provide study tips to enhance success
- Attend program specific events and meetings and share program knowledge and experience
- Promote an environment that is inclusive, inspiring, safe and respectful
- Collaborate in the creation of student-centred learning resources
- Support student learning through additional activities and initiatives
We are looking for experienced and highly motivated students who are passionate about learning and supporting others. To be considered you must:
- Have successfully completed at least one year (8 courses) at USC and be currently enrolled in a USC program
- Maintain a good record of achievement with a GPA of 5.5 or above
- Have excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills
- Have good interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Possess a proactive and positive attitude with a commitment to lifelong learning
Student Success Leaders are not required to commit to a set number of hours per week. Your volunteer hours will be negotiated between you and your USC supervisor based on the role requirements and your availability.
How to apply
Submit your application to the Student Success team at firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Cover letter including why you would like to be considered for the position (max. 1 page)
- Resume (max. 2 page)
- Complete the online form to gain access to the USC Student Leadership page on Blackboard
For assistance with preparing your application visit the Resources tab on the Student Hub.
Applications for Semester 2, 2017 close Sunday, 2 July 2017.