Join the Student Representative Council in 2017/2018!
Applications are now open and close at 9am, Monday 8 May 2017
The University is calling for expressions of interest from students who are interested in becoming a member of the Student Representative Council (SRC) for the term commencing on 1 July 2017 and finishing on 30 June 2018.
The SRC consists of USC students who represent their fellow students and act as a key source of communication between the student body and the University. Its members consult with fellow students to discuss emerging views, suggestions and issues about learning, teaching and student services, and present recommendations to USC’s senior staff.
Student members are sought in the following categories:
- Two students from each School
- One postgraduate coursework student from each Faculty
- One Higher Degree by Research student from each Faculty
- One international student from each Faculty
Role and responsibilities of members
In addition to formally meeting approximately three times each semester, SRC members also get the opportunity to participate in focus groups, University events and student leadership initiatives. Information about SRC’s recent engagement activities can be found on their website.
Members are encouraged to actively engage with the business of the SRC outside of meetings by participating in online group discussions, staffing the SRC pop-up stall twice each semester, and providing input into the organisation and administration of SRC activities.
The estimated commitment for members over the year is 32 hours and includes time for preparing for and attending meetings, online discussions with other SRC members, participation in focus groups and campus events (pop-up stalls and orientation). Members are encouraged to continue responding to emails over the summer break to ensure continuity between meetings.
Members willing to get further involved can nominate to take on informal roles in the SRC engagement team and actively contribute to planning events, liaising with University staff and attending other relevant University committees. The estimated commitment for members on the engagement team is 60 hours in total over the year.
Members can accumulate credit for their involvement and get it recognised for the Student Leadership Award. SRC membership is also a great opportunity to gain broader experience and skills to complement a university degree and be job-ready.
In Semester 2, 2017, the Student Representative Council will meet three times (dates subject to change):
- Thursday 10 August 2017
- Thursday 7 September 2017
- Thursday 12 October 2017
Members will be selected based on their responses to the following criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment and enthusiasm for the role
- Demonstrated communication and leadership skills
- Prior engagement with extra-curricular activities at USC or in the community
- Applicants must be able to commit for a one-year term commencing 1 July 2017 and finishing on 30 June 2018.
- Applicants must not have a staff appointment at the University of above 0.5.
- Applicants must be enrolled at USC for the duration of their term in the SRC. Applicants who are due to complete their degree at the end of 2017 can still be considered.
Applications will close at 9.00am Monday 8th May, 2017. Interested students should read the Composition and Terms of Reference of the Student Representative Council before applying.