Get set for success in both your sport and your studies
USC’s High Performance Student Athlete program has been designed to assist you in achieving excellence in both your sport and your study simultaneously.
The HPSA program recognises both elite and emerging athletes. To be eligible you must be:
- Currently enrolled as a USC student in an undergraduate or post graduate program.
- Elite HPSA: Actively competing at the open national or international level in a sport recognised by the Australian Sport Commission.
- Emerging HPSA: Actively competing as a development or youth age group athlete at a national or international level in a sport recognised by the Australian Sports Commission.
USC students who are coaching at elite and emerging levels may also be eligible for this program.
Please contact the Coordinator, High Performance Student Program to discuss your eligibility.
How to apply
If you meet the program eligibility criteria, complete the High Performance Student Athlete Program application form. Don’t forget to upload documentary evidence of your competition level. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within 5 working days.
Key dates for applications
- Semester 1 2017: 5pm 15 February 2017
- Semester 2 2017: 5pm 3 July 2017
If you miss these application dates, please contact the Coordinator, High Performance Student Program.
For further information, please contact the Coordinator, High Performance Student Program, Tania Stevenson
- Tel: +61 7 5430 1210
- Email: email@example.com
Complimentary HP Sport Servicing
- Strength and conditioning; rehabilitation; injury prevention; functional testing from USC Sport clinic experts
Complimentary use of USC Sport and Fitness facilities
- 12 month USC Gym membership
- Use of the USC’s indoor sports stadium; Olympic standard swimming pool; IAAF standard athletics track; outdoor hard courts and playing fields
- USC Spartans merchandise – a wide range of both sporting and urban styles
HPSA Professional Development Program
- HPSA Program Induction
- A series of student athlete focussed workshops from expert USC sport industry specialists and Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) personnel. Topics include media training; entrepreneurship; time management; nutrition; recovery; peaking; sports psychology; skill acquisition; biomechanics; drug and alcohol education; and securing sponsorship
- Access to High Performance sport mentors internal and external to USC
- Student athlete leadership initiatives
Parking permit valued at $100 per semester
High Performance Student Athlete lounge
Facilitated Support for Learning
- Early enrolment to support competition and training schedules
- Early assessment of academic preparedness to receive personalised information and advice
- Facilitated access to academic skills and learner-to-learner support
- Pre-semester skills preparation and workshops
- Small group and one-to-one support for learning and skill development from experienced peers, academic advisers and specialist staff
- Access to Drop-in sessions to develop both subject matter understanding and academic and technical skills
- Study hall sessions
- Career planning and employment advice
- Interview skills development
- Change of program advice
- Counselling (face-to-face and online)
- Counselling resources
- Psychological services
- Advocacy within both academic and sporting environments to support study/sport balance
Scholarships and financial assistance
- USC Sport Scholarship
- June Canavan Para-athlete Sport Scholarship
- USC Sports Elite and Education Dual Stream (SEEDS) Excellence Scholarships
HPSAs may also be eligible for the many other scholarships and bursaries USC offers.
HPSAs are eligible for USC’s student loan scheme and may apply for tailored packages to support their sport/study needs.
USC Special Entry Scheme
HPSAs are eligible to apply for USC’s Elite Athlete Bonus.