OS-HELP is a Commonwealth Government loan program that provides financial assistance to eligible students wishing to undertake part of their Commonwealth Supported program overseas.
OS-HELP can be used for a range of expenses such as airfares, accommodation and other travel or study expenses.
The type of overseas study for which you may be able to receive OS‑HELP assistance could include semester or year-long exchanges, study tours, clinical placements and internships.
Students may receive one loan per six-month study period, up to a total of two OS-HELP loans in their lifetime. The six month period commences from the start date of your overseas study.
In 2017, the maximum students can borrow for a six-month study period is:
- A$6,567 for Non-Asian countries
- A$7,880 for Asian countries
- A$1,050 supplementary amount for Asian language study to assist students to prepare for overseas study in Asia. For more information on Asian Language Study loans refer to USC's guidelines for OS-HELP assistance.
Who is eligible for an OS-HELP loan?
Students must meet all the following criteria to be eligible for an OS-HELP loan:
- be an Australian Citizen, or a New Zealand citizen who hold a Special Category Visa and meets all eligibility criteria, or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa
- be enrolled in a Commonwealth supported (CSS) undergraduate or (CSS) postgraduate program at USC
- be undertaking full-time study# overseas and your overseas study will count towards the course requirements for the Australian course of study in which you are enrolled
- have completed units of study to the value of at least 1 EFTSL in the Commonwealth supported USC program for which the overseas study relates
- the overseas study must count towards the requirements of your USC program
- on completion of your study outside Australia, have at least 0.125 EFTSL remaining to complete your USC program
- be selected by USC to receive an OS-HELP loan
# Short term study may be equivalent to full-time study depending on unit value of approved course/s and duration of overseas study. For more information contact Studentcentral@usc.edu.au
Students must not have:
- received OS-HELP on more than one other occasion
- received another OS-HELP loan for a period that overlaps or coincides with the six-month period
Please note: Students studying overseas as part of a Diploma program will not be eligible for OS-HELP.
Who is eligible for a supplementary Asian language study loan?
Students must meet all the following criteria:
- be selected for OS-HELP assistance for overseas study in Asia within the same six-month period in which you are seeking the Asian language study loan
- be undertaking Asian language study in preparation for your overseas study towards your USC degree program
- indicate on your OS-HELP debt confirmation form that you would like to receive a supplementary loan amount for Asian language study
- been approved by USC to receive a supplementary loan amount for Asian language study, and
- not yet completed the Asian language study before applying for the supplementary loan amount
How are OS-HELP loans approved?
USC is allocated a number of loans each year and determines eligibility and approves loans in accordance with USC Guidelines for OS-HELP Assistance (Application and Selection Procedures). Priority will be given to students undertaking Study Overseas semester programs.
How do I apply for OS-HELP?
Once the application for OS-HELP Assistance has been approved, students will complete an OS-HELP debt confirmation online when accepting an OS-HELP offer.
The approval of the OS-HELP Assistance application and payment can take up to a month, so please allow sufficient time when submitting your OS-HELP application.
- Download the OS-HELP statement of terms and conditions (PDF 467KB) booklet
- Find out more at the Study Assist website, including:
* For PDF documents you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe Download page.