Disability and equity
Disability Services ensure equal access to all aspects of university life. If your studies are affected by a disability, learning disorder, injury or illness, Disability Services can provide assistance, advocacy, and reasonable academic adjustments.
Under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, the University of the Sunshine Coast recognises that a disability may be permanent or temporary and may take the following forms:
- a chronic medical condition (eg heart disease, chronic fatigue syndrome), or
- the presence in the body of disease-causing organisms
Disability Action Plan
The purpose of the Disability Action Plan is to assist the University in providing equal access to quality education for the whole community, improve the teaching and learning environment for students and staff, and to raise awareness of disability issues and responsibilities as a foundation for good practice in equitable service provision.
Services and facilities
There are a range of disability support services and facilities available to you. For further information and to access these services, contact the Disability Services Officer, through Student Life and Learning.
You are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with the Disability Services Officer, through Student Life and Learning, who can provide practical advice about the support and facilities available to you throughout the University.
To facilitate equitable academic access and to ensure you receive the best assistance to achieve your academic potential you should:
- make contact with the Disability Services Officer as early as possible to ensure access to appropriate accommodations and services
- consult with program advisers to select an appropriate area of study
- have documentation concerning the nature of your disability or medical condition available from a medical or specialist practitioner including a Health Practitioner Report (PDF 88KB)
- keep the Disability Services Officer up to date in relation to your disability related circumstances, needs, and contact details
- Contact the Disability Services Officer through Student Life and Learning.
- Additional assistance and resources are available through a number of resource agencies.