Wireless on campus
The University of the Sunshine Coast has Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) availability at all buildings and their surrounds of the Sippy Downs Campus.
To use the network, staff and students require a wireless capable laptop or mobile device with 802.11g specification.
USC is now using Cloudpath's XpressConnect to setup and configure wireless on the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (SP2 or greater)
- Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit)
- Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)
- Windows 8 Pro
- Mac OS X Tiger (10.4 x)
- Mac OS X Leopard (10.5 x)
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x)
- Mac OS X Lion (10.7.x)
- Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04 (x86 and x64)
- Apple iOS for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad (2.x, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x)
- Android OS (3.x, 4.x)
Should your wireless settings become corrupted, you can simply re-run XpressConnect and it will repair your wireless settings. You can launch the XpressConnect wireless wizard by visiting wireless.usc.edu.au.
- Presently, Window 8 RT, and Windows Phone are not compatible with XpressConnect, Manual setup of these devices is required. Please adapt these settings to your device using the devices manual.
- Users running Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.x) will be required to click the link that says Click here to load XpressConnect after accepting the EULA.
- Users running Ubuntu Linux will be required to allow XpressConnect access to the keyring during auto configuration. When prompted, please click Always Allow.
- Apple iOS devices will be required to enable the HTTP proxy after running XpressConnect.
- Go to the WiFi settings of the “USC Wireless +” connection (Settings -> WiFi -> USC Wireless +) and set HTTP Proxy to Auto.
- Android devices 3.0x or later devices may require a HTTP proxy to be manually configured.
- Go to the WiFi settings of the “USC Wireless +” connection (Settings -> WiFi -> USC Wireless .+)
- Hold on this connection and select “Modify network config”.
- Scroll to the bottom and check “Show advanced options”.
- Set proxy settings to Auto or “Manual”. If Manual, the hostname address is: proxy.usc.edu.au, The port is 8080.
A University login account is required to access the wireless network.
The University of the Sunshine Coast is a member of the Eduroam (Education Roaming) Federation.
Eduroam allows the staff and students of a member institution to connect to the wireless networks of other member institutions.
For further Information and instructions visit our Eduroam page.