How to apply
The recommended steps for applying for a position at the University are as follows:
Step 1: Read the advertisement
- Carefully read the advertisement, as it will provide you with important information.
Step 2: Read the position description
- Obtain the statement of duties, selection criteria and information about the University and / or organisational area.
- Read the information carefully before writing your application.
Step 3: Complete the application cover sheet
Step 4: Address the selection criteria
- Include details on how you meet each of the selection criteria provided for the position.
- Be brief and to the point using positive language. If you have been responsible for something, use active language (eg 'I implemented...', rather than just saying 'A system was implemented').
- Provide examples and figures to support your achievements (eg number of staff supervised, results of the changes you made).
- Strengthen your application by attaching evidence of your claims, such as samples of your work or written evaluations of your work.
- It is recommended you treat each criterion as equally important, and address each one individually and thoroughly.
Step 5: Attach your resume or curriculum vitae
- Attach a curriculum vitae / resume to support your application, including:
- contact details: title, full name, address, telephone number(s) for both during and after work hours, email address
- educational qualifications relevant to the duties and selection criteria for the position (title of qualification, subjects / majors studied, institution, proportion of qualification completed)
- relevant work history (most recent jobs should be listed first) including names and addresses of employers, positions held, length of time in each position, major duties, responsibilities and achievements
- membership of relevant professional associations (if applicable)
- relevant extra-curricular activities and achievements (eg relevant voluntary or community work)
- contact details for at least three referees who can comment on your suitability for the position, preferably including your current or most recent supervisor
Step 6: Review the checklist
- Attach the completed Application Cover Sheet.
- Clearly state the position for which you are applying and include the reference number.
- Address the selection criteria – applicants who do not address the selection criteria in their application will not be considered.
- Attach a current copy of your curriculum vitae / resume.
- You do not need to attach evidence of stated qualifications for eg. academic transcripts, certificates and licences. If you are the successful applicant you will need to provide original or certified copies.
Step 7: Send your application
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
- To ensure your application reaches the selection committee, quote the reference number and title of the position at the beginning of the application.
- Make sure your application reaches Human Resources by the advertised closing date – late applications may not be accepted.
- Please limit your email attachments (3 to 4 maximum).
- Submit your application to email@example.com
Note: Please limit your email attachments (3 to 4 maximum).
- Contact Human Resources for further information.
The University of the Sunshine Coast is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
* For PDF documents you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe Download page.