1. Purpose of policy
Learning and teaching are core activities at the University of the Sunshine Coast. The University is committed to international standards in teaching, delivering benefits and opportunities to students, graduates and the region. This policy identifies the principles informing excellent learning and teaching at the University.
2. Policy scope and application
It applies to all staff, students, decision-making and advisory bodies involved in the provision of undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs, including Bachelor Honours programs.
This policy does not apply to higher degrees by research.
Please refer to the University’s Glossary of Terms for policies and procedures.
4. Principles Informing Learning and Teaching
The University will:
- sustain a community of enquiry that exemplifies freedom of thought, freedom of expression, and mutual respect;
- maintain academic standards;
- offer an inclusive and stimulating environment for enriched learning and teaching, that recognises diversity;
- maximise opportunities for students to develop knowledge, skills and personal values through active learning and real-world experiences
- maintain consistent, comparable and equitable curricula delivery across all campuses
- undertake learning-centred teaching;
- promote the nexus between teaching, scholarship and research;
- maximise opportunities for students to enrol in, transition through, and successfully complete university studies;
- provide opportunities for students to participate in the functioning of the university at various levels and to offer feedback regarding learning and teaching;
- communicate to students the actions taken as a consequence of their feedback to ensure continuous improvement;
- support continuous review and improvement of all aspects of teaching; and
- integrate learning technologies into educational settings to increase student access and participation, and enhance student engagement.