Over $2 million in critical funding from donors supported the construction of a new $13.8 million Health and Sport Centre. The Centre is now home to a wide variety of programs within the disciplines of Psychology, Biomedical Science, Nursing, Nutrition and Dietetics, Public Health, and Sport and Rehabilitation Sciences.
Its facilities include specialised teaching and research space, including a simulated home environment for the delivery of new programs such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and paramedic science. The Centre also features a fitness centre and café for students, staff, and community use.
The state-of-the-art facility takes teaching and research to a new level in our region, with a promise to attract world-class staff and students, and deliver the very finest knowledge, education and innovation to the Sunshine Coast.
This year, seven out of the ten most popular academic programs pursued by USC students are headquartered in the new Health and Sport Centre, which the campaign supported.
Just as these students will benefit from the state-of-the-art teaching and training facilities, the Sunshine Coast region will enjoy a greater number of better trained professionals, and world class research in the fields of health and sport.
Top 10 most sought-after USC programs in 2009:
1. Bachelor of Nursing Science*
2. Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics*
3. Bachelor of Paramedic Science*
4. Bachelor of Science (Sport & Exercise Science)*
5. Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology)*
6. Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)/Human Services
7. Bachelor of Business (Tourism, Leisure & Event Management)
8. Bachelor of Clinical Exercise Science*
9. Bachelor of Occupational Therapy*
10. Bachelor of Education/Science; and Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
* Programs headquartered in the new Health and Sport Centre.