The STEM Student Leaders assist in the delivery of school outreach programs which aim to build aspirations towards higher education pathways and provide students with the skills to get there.
The Leaders are high achieving USC students studying Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths disciplines who reinforce the importance of education through to Year 12 and beyond.
Our Leaders work in schools alongside classroom teachers to provide appropriate experiments, practicals, activities and presentations designed to complement school curriculum.
Audience: Years 7-10
Curriculum alignment: Yes
STEM Activities available for classroom delivery
Science and Technology - Robots
- What is a robot?
- One of the first robots
- Robots at work
- Life like robots
- Where to in the future …
Activity 1: In groups, students list all possible usages of robot.
Activity 2: Students design their own robots, including aesthetics and capabilities and then present to class.
Science and Technology - Quadcopters
- What is a quadcopter and what are they used for
- How does it fly? Weight, lift, thrust and drag
- Elements of the drone and how they work
Activity 1: In pairs, tell us everything you know about quadcopters – it’s a race.
Activity 2: On paper, students sort the basic components of a quadcopter.
Please be aware that we do not have permission to fly drones in this session.
Science - Water for Life
- Environmental Health, Water Supply, and sanitation.
- Ripple effects of dirty water; statistics of the water crisis; water quality.
Activity 1: Meet the disease via disease speed-dating
Activity 2: The spread of disease (using glitter).
Technology - The Lab of Awesome
The USC Lab of Awesome crew from the Engage Research Lab deliver interactive activities with the latest in technology gizmo’s and gadgets identified with future careers.
Activity: First-hand experience with AI, VR and Robotics.
Engineering - Design Engineering &Inventing the Future
- What is an Engineer and what are the different kinds of Engineers?
- About Design engineers
- Well known inventions
- Australian design inventions
Activity 1: Match the Engineers with the inventions.
Activity 2: In groups, students design and then present a solution to "distracted walking" on mobile phones.
Engineering - Structural Engineering
- What is a Structural Engineer and what do they do?
- Who makes a good Structural Engineer?
- Famous landmarks by Structural Engineers
Activity: In groups, students have just 20 minutes to construct a bridge using only spaghetti, rubber bands and sticky tape. The bridge must span 20 cm and hold the weight of a match box car.
STEM - Architecture
- The field of architecture
- What do architects design
- The architectural process in practice
- What are the required skills of an architect?
- Famous architecture buildings
- From manual drafting to AutoCAD
Activity: Students design their dream home.
Funding source: Higher Education Participation and Partnership Program Funding
Registration: Use the web form on this page to register your interest
For more information contact email@example.com