The Sunshine Coast Schools Mooting Competition is a joint initiative between USC and Sunshine Coast Grammar School. The competition is the first of its kind for the region, inviting all Sunshine Coast secondary schools to register a mooting team to compete.
Students are eligible to participate if they are studying Year 11 or 12 Legal Studies at a Sunshine Coast high school. Students are required to have a basic understanding of the Australian Legal System.
What is Mooting?
A moot is a simulated court hearing which imitates procedures followed in real courts. It is an opportunity for students to consider a legal problem, prepare written submissions and then use their oral presentation skills to present arguments before a judge or judges.
Mooting allows competitors to engage with interesting and topical legal issues, enhance advocacy and writing skills and collaborate with peers.
Pre-competition information session
Join us for a pre-competition information session. This event is a must for teachers, students and parents interested in participating. Attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Learn more about the Sunshine Coast Schools Mooting Competition
- Have mooting competition questions answered
- Observe USC's Law Students' Association demonstrate a moot
- Meet Mooting convenor and lecturer in law Dr Dominique Moritz
Date: Monday 5 February 2018
Time: 4.30pm – 6.30pm
Venue: LT2, Building K, University of the Sunshine Coast
How will the competition work?
A mooting team can be made up of 3-5 senior legal studies students.
All registered teams will compete in Round 1, with the winning teams going on to the next round and so on. There will be up to 5 rounds in total, held over 5 days including the Grand Final for the two teams that win their respective rounds.
The quarter finals, semi finals and grand finals of the Mooting Competition will be held at the USC Moot Court.
All Rounds will take place from 4:30pm on their respective days (see information booklet for key dates).
Mooting Competition Checklist
- Review the competition resources including the information booklet and rules
- Attend the information session on Monday 5 February 5 2018
- Register your team by Friday 16 February 2018
- Download the talent release form (for all competing students)
- Participate in Mooting Competition
Dr Dominique Moritz, Lecturer in Law, University of the Sunshine Coast
Ben Princehorn, Coordinator of Community Services, Sunshine Coast Grammar School