Our secondary STEM outreach programs are designed to inspire the next generation of leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Underpinned by the ethos that STEM has applications across the curriculum and beyond the classroom,all activities challenge students to use STEM in solving everyday, real-life problems.
We currently facilitate the following initiatives:
- Science and Engineering Challenge - bringing together Year 9 and Year 10 students for a day-long competition to create positive experiences in Science and Engineering
- Science Research Awards - showcasing Years 11 and 12 students' science-based investigations and presenting their findings to a judging panel of academics and scientists in the field
- Maths Modelling Challenge - encouraging participants to see that Maths is fun and exciting through problem solving
- STEM Connect - higher-level sessions facilitated by USC academics for highly motivated Science and Maths students
- Young Scholars Project - an enriching extension activity that inspires Year 10 and Year 11 students to use Science to tackle real-world global issues
- James Nash SHS Middle School STEAM Excellence Program - a six week after-school STEM and Arts enrichment and extension program for Year 7 and Year 8 students in Gympie
- Robotics and Coding Workshop - enhancing students' coding skills and knowledge through the EV3
- Science and Engineering Discovery Day - an introduction to Science and Engineering for Year 7 students at the USC Sippy Downs campus
- IA Planning Day - designed to assist teachers to begin the development of IA instruments for Units 1 and 2 for use in Year 11 2019.