The USC Rise, and Shine Sporting Excellence Award recognises one outstanding Year 10 student from each school who meets the necessary sporting, academic, character and aspirational criteria.
Recipients will have the opportunity to foster their sporting and academic aspirations through a program of personal and professional development presented by the USC community.
USC Rise, and Shine Sporting Excellence award recipients:
- Attend a specialised workshops on how to grow into a high performance athlete
- Tour the USC Sport facilities, including high performance sport science testing laboratories
- Attend training sessions with USC high performance student athletes
- Receive 'real life' guidance and advice from USC high performance student athletes (many of whom are Olympians and Paralympians)
- Experience life as a USC high performance student athlete
- Attend an exclusive USC Rise, and Shine Leadership Lunch
- Experience some of the most contemporary learning & training spaces in Australia
- Enhance professional qualities and employability with careers skills workshops
About the USC Rise, and Shine program
USC’s Rise, and Shine program gives high-achieving secondary school students the unique opportunity to immerse themselves in the USC community, and ignite their passion throughout the remainder of their schooling and beyond. This program brings together students from across the region to share in an exclusive rewards package to nurture their skills as future leaders. The USC Rise, and Shine program has been designed to give our Year 10 recipients a competitive edge during their senior studies, university preparation and career progression. Throughout their senior schooling, students will use this program to shape a portfolio of professional qualities, recognised competencies and employability skills. Recipients will receive invitations to a variety of interactive workshops, lectures, expert discussions and opportunities,and can choose which to attend based on their interests, strengths and needs. Students graduate from the Rise, and Shine program connected to likeminded peers and motivated to achieve their aspirations and full potential.
This program offers opportunities beyond those outlined and will continue to develop over the period of each recipient’s participation.
USC Rise, and Shine Leadership Lunch
Held on Thursday November 23 at the USC Sunshine Coast campus, this event will be an opportunity for award recipients to immerse themselves in USC life. Highlights of the day include students networking with program mentors, engaging in a range of leadership and goal setting activities and hearing from guest speaker Jordan Mercer, Surf Ironwoman champion, studying a Bachelor of Primary Education.
Applications open Monday 2 October 2017
Applications close Monday 6 November 2017
Schools are encouraged to present the USC Rise, and Shine awards at their school ceremony.
To be eligible for selection for a Rise, and Shine Sporting Excellence award, an applicant must:
- Be enrolled in Year 10 at a Queensland Secondary School
- Demonstrate consistent, high-level achievement in their chosen sport (minimum state-level representation)
- Demonstrate a consistently positive attitude in all sporting endeavours, showing respect for themselves, other players and officials
- Maintain at least a B grade across their subjects
- Intend to pursue university studies upon completion of Year 12
*If your school is currently not included in this initiative, but you would be like to be considered for future awards, please contact email@example.com, if you require any further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rise and Shine Award - Sporting Excellence