The tournament is open to independent and Education Queensland Schools located in the Sunshine Coast and northern Moreton region.
The competition aims to promote debating as an activity for all students and provide a supportive, fun yet competitive environment.
The annual tournament features:
- 4 preliminary rounds
- 2 rounds for play-offs, if required
- Grand Final
Debates take place using short prep style of debating with a minimum of 3 speakers on each team. Participation in the competition allows students to develop their speaking skills, confidence and understanding of the methodologies of debating, whilst engaging with relevant topics.
The competition involves students from Years 6 to 12, separated into the following divisions:
- Junior Division Years 6-7
- Intermediate Division Years 8-9
- Senior Division Years 10-12
Team registrations for the Sunshine Coast Schools Debating Competition open 8 May–14 June.
Come along and learn key debating skills, with other debaters, and further develop your passion for the podium.
Sunshine Coast Schools Debating Expo - " Words at 10 Paces"
The Expo brings together students and coaches from around the Sunshine Coast for an energised and fun introduction to the short prep Sunshine Coast Schools Debating competition.
Monday 30th July 2018 11am - 2pm / Innovation Centre, University of the Sunshine Coast
Competition dates for 2018
- ROUND 1: Wednesday 8 August
- ROUND 2: Wednesday 15 August
- ROUND 3: Wednesday 22 August
- ROUND 4: Wednesday 29 August
- CATCHUP: Wednesday 5 September
- PLAY-OFF: Wednesday 10 October
- SEMI-FINALS: Wednesday 17 October
- GRAND FINAL: Wednesday 24 October
David Elley via email: email@example.com
Find us on Facebook: Sunshine Coast Schools Debating Competition