For all campus emergencies call 5430 1122 or Ext 1122.
If required, DIAL 0-000 for Emergency Services.
On becoming aware of a bomb threat
Written bomb threat (including fax or email)
- Remain calm.
- Minimise handling of the document containing the threat and the envelope it was delivered in.
- Preserve any evidence, such as the threat document and envelope, by placing them in a plastic pocket or bag for delivery to the Chief Fire Warden (Security/Asset Management Services).
- Notify Security (Ext 1122) as soon as possible, but not by mobile telephone.
- Follow the instructions of Security/Emergency Services personnel.
Telephone bomb threat
- Keep the caller talking (do not hang up even if the call has ended) as this may assist in tracing the call.
- Remain calm and do not do or say anything that may encourage irrational behaviour.
- Notify Security (Ext 1122) as soon as possible, but not by mobile telephone.This may require the recipient of the call attracting the attention of someone else to contact Security, so as to avoid the recipient breaking the contact.
- Record the follow details:
- exact wording of the threat
- location of the device, no matter how general
- time of detonation
- name, sex and other details of the caller, such as estimated age
- details of speech, accent, delivery and background noises
On becoming aware of a telephone threat being made to someone in your area
- Encourage them to keep the caller talking and support the recipient of the call as best you can.
- Contact Security (Ext 1122) and notify them of the situation.
- Turn off mobile telephones and encourage others to do the same.
- Follow the instructions of relevant Security/Emergency Services personnel.
- Do not evacuate unless told to do so.
- Prior to evacuating, check your immediate work area to see if there are any packages, bags or other forms of container that are out of place or do not belong in the area.
- Alert Security/Emergency Services personnel if anything unusual is detected. Do not attempt to inspect the item.
- When evacuating the building leave doors and windows open.
- Follow the instructions of Security and Emergency Services personnel to evacuate the building to the nominated evacuation assembly area, and assist with the evacuation of disabled occupants.
- Do not leave the evacuation assembly area until advised to do so.
Always refer to Emergency communications in the event of an emergency for latest announcements.
* (ECO) Emergency Control Organisation