For all campus emergencies call 5430 1168 or Ext 1168.
If required, DIAL 0-000 for Emergency Services.
Personal threat emergency action
- Quickly assess the situation and contact SafeUSC (Ext 1168) when it is safe to do so.
- Follow directions given by SafeUSC and Emergency Services personnel.
- Follow the standard procedures for that type of emergency.
- Do not place yourself at risk.
- Obey the offender’s instruction.
- Attempt to de-escalate the situation–avoid getting into an argument.
- Keep a safe distance between yourself and the offender.
- Take note of exits or other possible escape routes and try to get as close as possible.
- Activate the duress system (if installed).
- If able to do so contact SafeUSC (Ext 1168).
- If able to do so contact the Police 0-000.
- Call for assistance from another staff member as soon as possible.
- Observe continuously any objects touched by the offender.
- Record description of offender, what was said, touched etc as soon as possible.
- Isolate the area until SafeUSC or Police arrive.
- Do exactly as asked.
- Avoid eye contact.
- physical appearance
- clothing worn
- distinguishing features including voice, hair, tattoos
- any weapons
- anything touched, or taken
- escape route, vehicle
An emergency lockdown will be implemented in situations where it may be safer for occupants to shelter inside a building, to ensure they are protected from an external threat, including but not limited to, violent incidents and civil disturbances.
- Remain calm and encourage others to remain calm.
- Lock the doors and windows into the room if possible or if not possible to lock them, place furniture and equipment in front of them to barricade them.
- Some doors open out into the corridor because of fire code regulations. In such situations, use whatever means possible to try to restrict entry to the room including:
- placing furniture and equipment in front of the door
- cover any glass panels in the doors and any windows if possible
Always refer to Emergency communications in the event of an emergency for latest announcements.
* (ECO) Emergency Control Organisation