1. Purpose of policy
USC is committed to attracting and retaining excellent staff capable of meeting its strategic and operational objectives.
2. Policy scope and application
This policy applies to all University staff, officers and selection committee members.
Please refer to the University’s Glossary of terms for policies and procedures. Terms and definitions identified below are specific to these procedures and are critical to its effectiveness:
Merit means the extent to which a person has the relevant abilities, aptitude, skills, qualifications, knowledge, experience and achievements (including community experience), characteristics and personal qualities; and where applicable, the manner in which the person carried out the duties or functions of any previous position or previous educational or other learning experiences; and the extent to which a person has the potential for development.
4. Policy Statement
The University aims to recruit and select the best possible people in a timely and cost effective manner. Selection decisions are made on the basis of merit, and the principles of equity, fairness and transparency will apply. The University applies the following principles to the recruitment, selection and appointment of staff:
- providing clear and effective recruitment and selection guidelines with the appropriate flexibility to meet organisational needs;
- ensuring processes are transparent and fair; and promote equal opportunity;
- developing the diversity of our workforce, including increasing the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and women in senior roles;
- ensuring that all activities are conducted with due regard for the privacy of individuals and confidentiality of information; and,
- compliance with legislative requirements and managing risks appropriately.
The following authorities are delegated under this policy:
|Design and delivery of training||Director, Human Resources|
|Management of RSA process||Director, Human Resources|
|Approval of appointments (Senior staff and Professors)||Vice-Chancellor and President|
|Approval of appointments (Academic staff other than Professors)||Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor|
|Approval of appointments (All other appointments)||Director, Human Resources|