Academic Board Composition
- Chairperson (appointed by Council)
- The Vice-Chancellor and President will nominate a member from amongst the academic community on the Academic Board as Deputy Chairperson of the Board for a two-year term
Members ex-officio (full rights)
Vice-Chancellor and President
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (International and Quality)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Students)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Engagement)
- Dean, Indigenous Education and Engagement
- Associate Deans (Learning and Teaching)
- Associate Deans (Research)
- Chairpersons of committees of the Academic Board
- Heads of School
- Director, Centre for the Support and Advancement of Learning and Teaching
- Director, Student Services and Engagement
- Director, Information Services
- Director, Strategic Information and Analysis Unit
Up to three persons who are not employees of the University, appointed by the Vice-Chancellor and President
One undergraduate coursework student and one postgraduate student, one international student and one Indigenous identifying student of the University who are not members of staff of the University, with a staff appointment of 0.5 or more, appointed by the Vice-Chancellor and President on the recommendation of the Chairperson following a request for expressions of interest in serving on the Board. Student appointments will include representation from at least two USC locations.
Up to three additional members co-opted by the Chairperson for a specified term
Elected members (full rights)
Two academic staff members from the northern regions, elected by the staff (Gympie and Fraser Coast).
Two academic staff members from the southern regions elected by the staff (Moreton Bay, Caboolture and SouthBank).
Two academic staff members from the central regions elected by the staff.
Invited to attend as appropriate (having participatory, but not voting rights)
- Any visitors with the approval of the Chairperson
In attendance (having participatory, but not voting rights)
- Any Director who is not an ex-officio member
- Manager, Academic Secretariat (Executive Officer and Secretary)
- Minute Secretary
Observers (no rights)
- Any person with the approval of the Chairperson
1. To monitor academic integrity and academic standards, and assure the quality of teaching, research and research training
2. To foster discourse and deliberation on issues related to higher education through informed and open discussion
3. To approve and amend academic policy
4. To foster excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, scholarship and research
5. To advise Council and make recommendations where appropriate on the academic strategic directions and practices of the University
6. To accredit the introduction of new programs and approve significant program amendments
7. To confer academic awards of the University, other than Honorary awards
Tenure and frequency of meetings
- There will be at least five meetings of the Academic Board each year.
- Elected academic staff members will serve for a period of two years.
- Members appointed by the Vice-Chancellor and President, other than student members, will serve for a period of two years.
- Student members will serve for a period of one year, with a maximum of two consecutive terms of office.
Last amended: USC Council 6 December 2018.