The Research Committee reports to the Academic Board.
Members (full rights)
- Chairperson as appointed by the Chairperson of the Academic Board
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation)
- Deputy Chairperson as appointed by the Chairperson of the Academic Board
- Chairperson, Research Degrees Committee
- Associate Deans (Research)
- A research-active staff member from each School nominated by the Executive Dean of a Faculty
- Directors of Research Centres
- Director, Office of Research
- A higher degree by research candidate, identified by expression of interest and appointed by the Chairperson
- Up to three additional members co-opted by the Chairperson for a specified term
Invited to attend as appropriate (having participatory, but not voting, rights)
- Pro Vice-Chancellors and Directors as required
- Any visitors with the approval of the Chairperson
In attendance (having participatory, but not voting, rights)
- Associate Director, Office of Research
- Director, Information Services (or nominee)
Observers (no rights)
- Any person with the approval of the Chairperson
Terms of Reference
- To advise the Academic Board and the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on research, research training and ethics matters, including University Policy on research, research training and ethics.
- To advise the Academic Board and the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on strategic plans associated with research and research training.
- To consider and recommend areas of research activity for support including the establishment of research centres or institutes within the University.
- To assist with the formulation of research strategies to allow the achievement of the University’s Strategic Plan.
- To monitor the work of the ethics committees to ensure that it meets internal and external requirements and develop recommendations to the Academic Board as required.
- To develop schemes for internal research support.
- To advise on strategies to enhance the research skills and research performance of academic staff.
- Provide leadership and advice on mechanisms to improve monitoring, benchmarking and reporting of the University’s research performance.
Tenure and Frequency of Meetings
There will be at least three meetings of the Committee each year.
Members nominated by the Executive Dean of a Faculty will serve for a period of two years.
The higher degree by research candidate will serve for a period of one year, with a maximum of two consecutive terms of office.
Last revised by the Chairperson, Academic Board Effective 10 July 2017