- Screen and Media Studies
- children's television
- cultural policy
- production studies
- media globalisation
Dr Anna Potter is an established expert on children’s television. She is the author of Creativity, Culture, and Commerce: Producing Australian Children’s Television with Public Value (Intellect, 2015), and in 2015 was the recipient of an Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) for her project titled 'International Transformation in Children's Television 2013–2018'.
This DECRA research consists of a comprehensive transnational project mapping the rapid evolution of the production territories and markets for children's television that have been opened up by media globalisation, and the resulting impact on television made for the child audience.
Anna’s research interests include the political economy of children’s media, and the production practices of transnational independent production companies. Anna has published in high quality international journals such as the International Journal of Cultural Studies, the International Journal on Media Management, and Media International Australia, where she is a member of the editorial board.
Anna is currently an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the University of Queensland, and a founding member of the University of the Sunshine Coast’s Arts Research in Creative Humanities (ARCH) research cluster, serving on ARCH’s executive committee.
- Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand (SSAAANZ)
- International Communication Association (IAC)
- Australia and New Zealand Communication Association (ANZCA)
- International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
- Screen Producers Australia (SPA)
- 2015 Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA)
- 2013 Advance Award for Learning and Teaching, University of the Sunshine Coast
- 2013 Dean's Award for Research Higher Degree Excellence, University of Queensland
- 2012 Best Early Career Research Presentation (with Dr Clare Archer Lean), Faculty of Arts and Business, USC Research Week
- 2009 Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
Potential research projects for HDR and Honours students
- television studies
- children's media
- cultural policy
|Project name||Investigators||Funding body||Year|
|International Transformation in Children's Television 2013–2018||Dr Anna Potter||ARC (A$370,000)||2015|
|Engagement and Capacity Building: Enhancing first year retention through building staff communication and leadership capability||Dr Anna Potter and Professor Marion Gray||USC Learning and Teaching Grants Program (CLTGP) (A$98,000)||2012|