- Italian language
- screen aesthetics
- environmental ethics
- media archaeology
Dr Gabriella Blasi joined the School of Communication and Creative Industries in June 2017.
Gabriella holds a PhD in Film, New Media and Philosophy by the University of Queensland and has extensive experience as screenwriter and film producer in Italy and Australia. Gabriella’s academic research focuses on ecocritical approaches to contemporary culture, particularly films and time-based media art. She has published articles in prestigious national and international and national journals such as Cinema: the Journal of Philosophy and the Moving Image, Arcadia and Parrhesia: the Journal of Critical Philosophy. Her forthcoming book The Work of Terrence Malick: Time-Based Ecocinema is an investigation of cinematic time and its effects on traditional nature-culture relations in Terrence Malick’s oeuvre.
- ASCP Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy
- ASLEC ANZ Association for the Study of Literature, the Environment and Culture Australian and New Zealand.
- SSAAANZ Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aoteaora New Zealand
- HDR Completion Scholarship, School of Communication and Arts, The University of Queensland, 2017.
- Best Postgraduate Student Essay, Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy, 2015
- Australian Postgraduate Award, The University of Queensland, 2013-2016
- Faculty Medal for Academic Excellence, The University of the Sunshine Coast, 2011