- Applied economics: Robert has research interests in a many areas of applied economics including:
- economic growth,
- the economics of national defence,
- bio-economic modelling,
- savings behaviour, and
- the housing market.
Robert has published in a wide range of international journals, including: Journal of Productivity Analysis, Journal of Development Economics, Environmental and Resource Economics, Urban Studies, Applied Economics, Defence and Peace Economics, De Economist, and Economia Internazionale. He has also undertaken a range of consultancy projects for private companies, local government agencies and charitable trusts as well as giving testimony as an expert witness in the Civil Courts.
Since joining USC in 2010, he has been teaching introductory classes in economics as well as economics for MBA students. In 2013, he established a minor in Economics and from 2018, will be responsible for teaching four of the subjects required for the new major in Economics.
Robert is course coordinator for the following subjects and welcomes student enquiries relating to both undergraduate study and HDR supervision.
- 2008 Otago University Students’ Association, Best Teacher Top Ten
- 1995 Teaching Merit Award, University of Tasmania
- 2008 Ray Stone Prize in Oral French (Advanced French 1 and 2),
University of Otago
- 1984 Award in Commerce (Economics), University of Otago
- 1976 Award in Arts (Maths), University of Otago