Sean O’Boyle AM joined the School of Communication and Creative Industries at the University of the Sunshine Coast in the role of Artistic Director, Music, in July 2017.
Awarded the Order of Australia in 2015, Sean O'Boyle’s compositions have been performed and or recorded by all the major Australian orchestras and by European Orchestras including; Berlin Philharmonic, Orchestre Symphonique Divertimento, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, BBC Concert Orchestra and by North American orchestras including the Dallas, Tacoma, Lexington, Atlanta, Spartanburg, Fort Worth Symphony Orchestras and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.
In 2000, Sean composed the ABC’s Olympic theme for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games Broadcast. Sean has written for, conducted, directed and collaborated with many artists including; Dame Evelyn Glennie, Adam Lopez, James Morrison, The Whitlams, Tommy Emmanuel, Kate Ceberano, Yvonne Kenny, Teddy Tahu-Rhodes, Suzanne Kompass, David Hobson, Riley Lee and Jane Rutter. He has written and produced music for more than 150 CDs recorded in collaboration with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Sean has a keen interest in the music of indigenous Australians and in 2001 he collaborated with didgeridoo maestro, William Barton, in composing his Concerto for Didgeridoo and Orchestra. This concerto was ranked #32 in the ABC Classic FM “The Classic 100 Concertos” and #87 in ABC Classic 100 - 20th Century. As a Conductor, Sean has conducted in concert halls as diverse as the iconic Sydney Opera House, Avery Fischer Hall (New York), Queens Hall (London), Roy Thompson Hall (Toronto) as well as unique concert spaces including under the stars in outback Australia.
- Australasian Performing Rights Association
- The Australian Children’s Music Foundation
- AABC Association
- Order of Australia Association
Awards and fellowships
- Order of Australia, 2015, Member of the Order (AM).
- Moravian College T. Edgar Shields Prize for Excellence in Studio Teaching, 2015.
- Advance Global Australian Awards, International Finalist, 2015.
- Inaugural BGS Hall of Fame, Inductee, 2008.
- MBC Queensland Artist of the Year, 2007.
- ARIA Award, Final Nominations, 'Little Baby', 2005, 'Make Believe', Yvonne Kenny & MSO, 2003, 'Symphony of Lullabies', TSO, 2002, 'George meets the Orchestra', George Spartels & QPO, 2001, 'Don Spencer’s Australian Classics', Don Spencer & QSO, 1998.
- ARIA Award, Winning Recordings Best Classical, ‘The Voice’, Teddy Tahu-Rhodes, 2004.
- ABC Golden Manuscript Award, 2003 & 2000.
- Queensland Recording Association “Sunnie” Awards, 'George meets the Orchestra', 2002, 'Under Latin Skies', 2002, 'Down on the Farm', Kazzoo, 1996, 'Man in a Box', 1996.
- North & Midlands School of Music (UK), Fellow, 2001.
- Australian Society of Composers & Musicologists, Council Member/Fellow, 2001.
- 4MBS/Perform Awards, Winner of Categories: Composer 2001, Score 2000, Arranging 2000.
- ARIA Award, Winner, 'Perfect Strangers', Judi Connelly, Suzanne Johnston & the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, 1999.
|Grant/Project name||Investigators||Funding body & A$ value||Year(s)||Focus (of research grant)|
|Portraits of Immortal Love||Dame Evelyn Glennie, Tacoma Symphony, Maestra Sarah Ioannides, Moravian College, ABC Music||
Tacoma Symphony, Moravian College, ABC Music
|2014 / 2015||Compose a percussion concerto for Dame Evelyn Glennie|
|Larrikins & Legends
|Queensland Pops Orchestra||
Queensland Pops Orchestra
Compose an overture based on the spirit of the ANZACS and the QPO Fanfare based on the spelling of the orchestra’s name.
|“Percussion Concerto”||Concord Chamber Orchestra, Milwaukee, USA||
Concord Chamber Orchestra
|2013||Compose a percussion section concerto for 68 different percussion instruments and Chamber Orchestra|
|Conflict Sadness Victory Resolution||Concord Chamber Orchestra, Milwaukee, USA||
Concord Chamber Orchestra
|2013||Compose a work for Soprano & Orchestra based on the poetry of Shakespeare, Brooks and Patterson|
|Requiem||Glenn Ridge Choral Society, NJ, USA. Gabrielle Schickedanz, Canada||
Glenn Ridge Choral Society
|2012||A new setting of the RCC Mass|
|An Australian in New York||Major Brisbane Festivals. Noel Staunton||
Major Brisbane Festivals
|2012||A symphonic work with an Australian’s perspective of NY, NY|
|Under Southern Skies||International Horn Society, Peter Luff, Griffith University||
International Horn Society
|2010||The opening Fanfare for the 42nd IHS conference|