- natural product chemistry
- NMR and MS spectroscopies
- organic synthetic chemistry
- computational chemistry
Dr Trong Tran was awarded a PhD degree in Organic Chemistry from Griffith University (GU) in 2015. He then undertook a postdoctoral research in National Cancer Institute (NCI), USA in 2 years. Dr Tran’s research at GU and NCI resulted in the discovery of some novel natural products with significant anticancer activity.
Dr Tran has been with the University of Sunshine Coast since 2017. He is currently working as a SIEF STEM research fellow in a collaboration with EcoBiotics Ltd. The focus of his work is to discover and deliver bioactive natural products isolated from Queensland’s tropical rainforest into drug development pipeline. Dr Tran also joins in the research of the domestication of the Australian plant Fontainea picrosperma to supply raw material for manufacturing the novel anticancer drug EBC-46.
Current research grants
Discovery and Development of Bioactive Natural Products Isolated from Queensland’s Tropical Rainforest. Dr. Trong Tran, Dr. Paul Reddell and Dr. Steven Ogbourne. CSIRO. 2017-2020.
- Tian, L. W., Feng, Y., Tran, T. D., Shimizu, Y., Pfeifer, T., Vu, H. T. & Quinn, R. J. 2017. Achyrodimer F, a tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase I inhibitor from an Australian fungus of the family Cortinariaceae. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 27, 4007-4010.
- Cho, N., Ransom, T. T., Sigmund, J., Tran, T., Cichewicz, R. H., Goetz, M. & Beutler, J. A. 2017. Growth Inhibition of Colon Cancer and Melanoma Cells by Versiol Derivatives from a Paraconiothyrium Species. J. Nat. Prod., 80, 2037-2044.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B. & Quinn, R. J. 2016. Unique Polybrominated Hydrocarbons from the Australian Endemic Red Alga Ptilonia australasica. J. Nat. Prod., 79, 570-577.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B., Booth, R., Forster, P. I. & Quinn, R. J. 2016. Lignans from the Australian Endemic Plant Austrobaileya scandens. J. Nat. Prod., 79, 1514-1523.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B., Ekins, M., Hooper, J. N. A. & Quinn, R. J. 2015. Isolation and Total Synthesis of Stolonines A–C, Unique Taurine Amides from the Australian Marine Tunicate Cnemidocarpa stolonifera. Mar. Drugs, 13, 4556-4575.
- Tian, L. W., Feng, Y., Tran, T. D., Shimizu, Y., Pfeifer, T., Forster, P. I. & Quinn, R. J. 2015. Tyrosyl-DNA Phosphodiesterase I Inhibitors from the Australian Plant Macropteranthes leichhardtii. J. Nat. Prod., 78, 1756-1760.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B. & Quinn, R. J. 2014. Structure Determination of Pentacyclic Pyridoacridine Alkaloids from the Australian Marine Organisms Ancorina geodides and Cnemidocarpa stolonifera. Eur. J. Org. Chem., 4805-4816.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B., Fechner, G. A., Hooper, J. N. A. & Quinn, R. J. 2014. Potent Cytotoxic Peptides from the Australian Marine Sponge Pipestela candelabra. Mar. Drugs, 12, 3399-3415.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B., Fechner, G., Hooper, J. N. A. & Quinn, R. J. 2013. Bromotyrosine Alkaloids from the Australian Marine Sponge Pseudoceratina verrucosa. J. Nat. Prod., 76, 516-523.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B., Fechner, G., Zencak, D., Vu, H. T., Hooper, J. N. A. & Quinn, R. J. 2012. Cytotoxic Cyclic Depsipeptides from the Australian Marine Sponge Neamphius huxleyi. J. Nat. Prod., 75, 2200-2208.
- Tran, T. D., Pham, N. B., Fechner, G. & Quinn, R. J. 2010. Chemical investigation of drug-like compounds from the Australian tree, Neolitsea dealbata. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 20, 5859-5863.