Professor John Lowe’s research interests are in cancer control and prevention and injury prevention. Since 1980, he has worked in the area of intervention studies for the cessation of smoking among adults, pregnant women, and the prevention and cessation of smoking among youth. He is internationally known for his work in the area of skin cancer prevention and smoking cessation interventions.
Professor Lowe continues to focus his research on community development and empowerment to make sustainable long-term changes to promote health.
Previous posts include Professor and Head of the Department of Community and Behavioural Health, College of Public Health, University of Iowa in the USA and also held the position of Associate Director for Population Science of the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Centre. He was Director, Cancer Prevention Research Centre, University of Queensland.
Professor Lowe previously directed two research centres, the CDC funded Iowa Prevention Research Centre and the Iowa Tobacco Research Centre.
Professor Lowe received his doctorate in Public Health, specialising in Community Health / Behavioural Science from the University of Texas Health Science Centre, School of Public Health. He is a fellow of both the Australia Health Promotion Association and the American Academy of Health Behaviour. Professor Lowe is currently the Editor in Chief of the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health and prior to that, Editor of the Health Promotion Journal of Australia.
Professor Lowe has also been appointed to the National Health and Medical Research Council Assigners Academy (Australia) and the NHMRC Centres of Research Excellence - Population Health Research Panel in 2013 - 2017.
- CREMARA - Centre of Research Excellence in Minimising Antibiotic Resistance for acute respiratory infection
- Relapse prevention from smoking among pregnant women
- Effects of the physical environment and nutrition
- Skin cancer
- Effects of support for carers on PTSD individuals
- The role of culture and health literacy in obesity
- Sexual quality of life in gynaecological cancer patients
- Editor in Chief, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
- Adjunct Professor, James Cook University
- Visiting Fellow, Sunshine Coast Health District