- Ex-Officio Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) (Chairperson)
- Ex-Officio Director, C-SALT
- Ex-Officio Director, Asset Management Services
- Ex-Officio Chief Financial Officer, Financial Services
- Ex-Officio Director, Human Resources
- Ex-Officio Director, Marketing and External Engagement
- Ex-Officio Director, Community Engagement
- Ex-Officio Director, Sustainability Research Centre
- Ex-Officio Director, Student Services and Engagement
- Appointed two University staff with expertise in social or environmental science, appointed by the Vice-Chancellor and President on the recommendation of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic).
- Appointed one undergraduate member and one postgraduate member of the student body, appointed by the Vice-Chancellor and President following a call for expressions of interest in joining the Committee.
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) will chair the Sustainability Management Committee.
- The Deputy Chair will be a member of the Committee appointed, every two years, by the Vice-Chancellor and President.
- Up to three additional members with expertise in areas relevant to the Committee’s work may be co-opted by the Committee, for a specified period, as required.
The Sustainability Management Committee was established to ensure that the needs of the current University community could be met without compromising the needs of future students and staff. The Committee advises on and monitors the impact of environmental, social and economic sustainability activities at USC, in order to evaluate success and drive continual improvements in these areas.
The Sustainability Management Committee is an advisory committee of the Vice-Chancellor and President and reports to the Planning and Resources Committee (PRC).
A copy of the minutes of meetings of the Sustainability Management Committee will be forwarded to the Vice-Chancellor and President and the Council Secretary, for noting at the next PRC meeting.
The Sustainability Management Committee will provide Council with an Annual Report on Sustainability, via the Planning and Resources Committee.
Tenure and meetings
- Appointed staff members will serve for a period of two years and are eligible for reappointment.
- Appointed student members will serve for a period of one year and are eligible for reappointment.
- Additional members will serve on the committee for a specified period, no longer than one year.
- The Sustainability Management Committee will meet no less than three times a year.
- Working Groups established by the Committee will meet more frequently to maintain momentum and progress sustainability initiatives.
- The Committee will review its Terms of Reference, evaluate its own performance at least every two years, engage in succession planning processes and regularly review its membership and composition.
At any meeting of the Sustainability Management Committee the quorum will be one half of the number of members.
Secretariat support will be provided by the Academic Secretariat.
Terms of Reference
Under its Terms of Reference, the Sustainability Management Committee has eight major areas of responsibility. These are:
- To advise on and provide strategic input into sustainability issues at USC.
- To facilitate and assist the advancement of sustainability goals at USC.
- To oversee the development and review of sustainability policy at USC and to monitor the implementation of the policy via the corporate reporting structure.
- To assist the University in retaining its status as an exemplar campus in sustainability.
- To foster and promote a collaborative culture of sustainability at USC.
- To facilitate sustainable USC campuses and to ensure that USC remains an exemplar in campus design.
- To inform the development of KPIs at USC and link to the USC Strategic Plan.
- To support the embedding of sustainability principles in Research and Learning and Teaching at USC.
Approved and effective: 27 October 2016